FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast Monitors

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Frank
Broadcast Monitors
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:57:55 pm

I want to color correct my footage proper for viewing on TVs / HDTVs / DVD etc., but I recently read up about people needing broadcast monitors to get accurate color so I thought I'd ask about it here

Right now I have a 500$ or so IPS widescreen computer monitor, would that work for color correcting for HDTV HD broadcasting, or SDTV SD broadcasting, Or DVD burning / playing back on HDTV (is there even a difference?) Or would I still need a CRT broadcast monitor?

I also have this old VGA CRT computer monitor, would that work for color correcting for broadcast?
if not again, then what's the cheapest broadcast monitor I can find lol I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-CRT-for-JVC-TM-22U-BROADCAST-STUDIO-MONITOR-TV_W0QQ... (not sure if I can hook it up not sure what it is actually lol)

I don't have alot of money, so I'm trying to find the cheapest solution possible here, I'd buy a 3" if it was cheap enough and just squint my eyes.

A bit clueless here ATM, I've been reading up alot about color accuracy and stuff and there's kind of a lot to intake, so far I know I should keep studio RGB levels and clip off superwhites if I'm going to broadcast, then I read about colors not showing accurately on computers :S so if anyone could help me out here I'd appreciate it

-John

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Broadcast Monitors
on Dec 9, 2009 at 2:02:01 am

No...those are COMPUTER MONITORS. You need BROADCAST monitors...or at least a good HDTV. And then the means to connect to one (HD capture cards...AJA, Matrox, Black-Magic Design).

Computer monitors are not good for broadcast color correction.

Flanders Scientific, JVC, Panasonic...those are good and decent HD Broadcast monitors. Flanders are highly recommended here. None of these are $500 or $1000 monitors....but start at $2400. An HDTV (good one) mixed with the MXO2 via HDMI is pretty good.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:48:35 am

John,
I don't care how insulting this post is. I want to slap you in the face and wake you up.

My mother-in-laws TV set (an old Mitsubishi) died in her bedroom, and she wanted a new TV set. So I went to HH Gregg, and WalMart to shop for the cheapest piece of crap that I could buy for her, that would fit in the hole in her bedroom furniture - it was 26".

The cheapest piece of crap I could find (from no name brands like Element, and Emerson) were about $399. They even had larger pieces of junk (32") for $429). And you want to buy a BROADCAST MONITOR for about $500?

GET THE HELL off this forum - you are not doing broadcast delivery and color grading for 500 bucks. Have you been to WalMart or Best Buy recently ? Do you know the differnce between the cheapest piece of garbage that "Grandma" watches TV on, and a professional BROADCAST MONITOR ? If the TV's that they sell in WalMart and K-Mart look "pretty good to you", then I suggest that you abandon your career, and spend some more time studing what professionals do for a living.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:51:34 am

Quite frankly Bob, I'm amazed your GRANDMOTHER is still alive. She must be in her 90s or 100s... if I guess at your age, and estimate your parents...

(laugh)

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:55:08 am

WHOOPS! Mother-in-law. MAN, how did I get GRANDMOTHER?

Shane

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 10, 2009 at 3:46:24 am

maybe John Frank can go over to her house, and color grade his project on her TV set. She can critique his work at the same time (and make him lunch).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

William Meese
on Dec 10, 2009 at 5:00:45 pm

At least John knows he's clueless here -- that's like a breath of fresh air.

John, if you haven't gotten Bob Zelin advice before, don't take it personally.
Just take it.

Different broadcast venues have different requirements; some are very stringent. If you have an imminent need for broadcast quality, don't pay for gear; pay for a pro to help you get your material to spec--and talk to him/her early in the process.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]