FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Recorder for Live Show

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Wiles
Video Recorder for Live Show
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:40:45 am

Hi,

I'm helping a friend setup a studio at his Church. We have purchased three HVX200 cameras, lights, etc. and are about to begin purchasing the switcher and recorder.

The goal is to stream the show on the internet, but also have copies available on DVD. Since it's going to DVD, we need it to be high quality.

What codec does the video recorder need to be? Most affordable recorders encode the footage to MPEG 2, MPEG 4, or H.264 format. We can get a recorder from Panasonic that records in the DVC Pro HD/25/50 formats but it is $7,000 for the cheapest one.

Can we get by with a less expensive video recorder that encodes in something like H.264 and still get high-quality for a DVD? What video recorder would you recommend?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
Re: Video Recorder for Live Show
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:55:23 am

My wild guess is You are going to use some sort of computer for editing?
So why not to use it for live capturing?
You can use computer as a video recorder, didnĀ“t You know?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Wiles
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:44:27 pm

Sometimes the most obvious things can pass me by!

Can you go into a little more detail on capturing live footage with a computer? Please keep in mind we are shooting high-def. Does a firewire cable come straight out of the mixer into the computer? And what software do I need to use for live capture?

I really appreciate your help.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 8, 2009 at 10:21:03 pm

You could use the same software you edit with, to capture a video input live, however, there are some possible "gotchas".

1: are you shooting in HD or standard def, what is coming out of the switcher, is THAT output HD or standard def, and using what format and connectors? If your switcher output is HDMI, you'll need an HDMI input on the recording device, or some kind of translator (transcoder) in between the two. AKA and Blackmagic and others offer those devices, and AJA advertises a recorder module you might like caled the KI Pro, but they are pricey.

2: Yes, you can capture into, for example, Final Cut from a live video source, you just tell the capture module you are capturing from an uncontrolled device, and you can manually start and stop a recording. But, chances are you could get a momentary glitch in the signal that will cause the computer to drop out of recording, particularly the longer the amount of time you let it run without stopping, and it takes time to re-establish the capture. There is software that Adobe bought and re-branded as part of Premiere as On Location, this would be a better way to capture to a laptop, and you could edit from there with premiere or another NLE. Liekwise, I think Sony Vegas might be used for this, on a laptop or on a PC, i believe it has a specific interface for live recording but I'm not an expert on Vegas or Premiere, so you'll have to get someone else's input on the relative merits there. With most of the computer based recording solutions you are going to need a substantial outboard set of AV drives in a RAID array to get the thruput and speed and capacity for a long program, as well as redundancy against loss of data. That's an added expense and figuring where and how to connect the drives and line up a signal flow is an added concern. And do you REALLY want to take your editing system out to the location for this?

There are stand-alone DVD recorders and some of them have multiple types of inputs, but I can't recall one that makes a "high def" DVD on the fly. I would say as part of your church stewardship, decide first if the added complication and expense of an all-HD workflow and output is really worth it, or if the congregation is better served with a high-quality standard-def workflow.

Return to posts index

Tyler Ries
on Dec 11, 2009 at 4:18:37 pm

I agree with Mark's last statement, take that HD jump carefully. HD cameras can still produce a nice looking SD image. The important part is that all the white balance, iris, and other level controls match between the cameras; if they don't, HD is not going to make the production any better. Once people catch on to the video productions, think about making the change to HD.

I assume that you are not making Blu-Ray disc copies for anyone who wants them, so having a good SD recording is the best way to go. Capturing straight into a computer will allow you to have some of the best image quality and edit straight out to a DVD.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Dec 19, 2009 at 6:47:42 pm

Try this

http://avtake.com/cutfoursd.asp

You can record and stream at the same time. Records avi 720x484 to separte disk, 4 cameras and desktop capture and send to screen at the same time. This and much more.

RC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]