FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI vs HD-SDI

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wollsey
HDMI vs HD-SDI
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:42:40 pm

I have been trying to get an answer to my question on both the Apple Color forum and the Matrox forums here, but have not been able to get a definitive explanation.

Here are the threads so far:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/223/13395

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/132/858420#858420

So this is what I'm looking at:

Final Cut Pro / Apple Color setup using Matrox MX02 I/O box. This box will output HDSDI, HDMI and component. I am deciding on what broadcast monitor to buy and have come across the Panasonic Plasma (TH-42PF11UK 42) which comes with HDMI and component inputs standard ($1500 extra to add in HD-SDI). I want to know if the HDMI signal from the Matrox MX02 will produce an image that looks any different than an image from the HD-SDI signal from the same MX02. I know that HD-SDI is a well established professional broadcast technology and that generally this is regarded as the standard. However I would like to know if with this particular combination of equipment there will be any difference in the image I see on the screen. If there is not, there seems little reason not to use the HDMI and save $1500. If there is a difference (of course presuming the HDMI is inferior), then I will of course go for an HD-SDI solution.

Thanks in advance

PW

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HDMI vs HD-SDI
on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:54:14 am

Oh Peter,
you don't need to buy anything. All products from AJA, Blackmagic, MOTU and Matrox will output analog component HD from them, and feed your TH series Panasonic Plasma with a wonderful 1080 signal, that will look every bit as good as an HD-SDI output. All the option card is, is a HD-SDI to YPbPr converter. Use what you own, buy nothing, and it will look wonderful.

Bob Zelin '

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: HDMI vs HD-SDI
on Nov 21, 2009 at 11:14:27 am

hi peter.

first HD-SDI versus Y,Pb,Pr
i don't know this particular panel but i have used several type's from pioneer in the past. Color wise don't bother they wll both look the same.
my experience with the component input's is that on some models there is excessive ringing you just have to try this out with some testchart's.
you would expect that this i with the cheap ones and the expensive should do this right but experience learned me that this is completly random.
on some models it is true what Bob says that the HD-SDIinput is just a convertor to YPbPr actualy fed internaly to the YPbPr. but this is not always true. also do some test with nasty interlaced material.

HDMI
watchout here understand where you are producing for.
HDMI can be configured in RGB and YCbCr. as the display communicates
with the signal supplier it can be a pain to force it to be in a specific format. if you are producing for broadcast remember that your production will endup in a YCbCr format and you want to see this.
and remember in singlelink HDMI still is just 8Bit.

greet
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]