FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruno Rojas
Monitoring
on Nov 1, 2009 at 12:14:06 pm

What's the difference between the Sony Broadcast monitors BVM and PVM.

What's the best for monitoring color to regular analog ntsc tv production.

Are these new sony lcds professional monitors reliable for previewing color. I live in brazil and it will take a while to hd and lcds/led tvs become standard. I'm looking for an affordable monitor for NTSC work.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Monitoring
on Nov 1, 2009 at 3:51:26 pm

BVM is broadcast video monitor, which had better SMPTE phosphors. They were very expensive. PVM is Professional Video monitor, and was widely used by post houses (like the PVM20L5/1, and PVM14L5/1). These were the last two CRT monitors Sony made. The older PVM-20M4U, and PVM-20M2U were also very popular, but these could not display HD signals.

CRT monitors are no longer manufactured, and are no longer used. The new Sony LMD monitors are terrible monitors, and Sony's competitors (JVC, Panasonic, FSI, eCinema, TV Logic, CineTal, etc.) all make better quality monitors. I have found that Sony consumer monitors (like the Bravia consumer plasma displays) are more accurate than the "professional" LMD series.

I find it hard to believe that in Brazil - a major country, with very large, wealthy cities, and thriving economies - are not adopting HDTV, and plasma displays. I find it hard to believe that the more affluent people in Brazil do not currently own Plasma TV's in their homes.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bruno Rojas
on Nov 1, 2009 at 8:32:19 pm

thanks for the answer Bob. You are not wrong, our biggest tv networks, "globo", "record", "band", "rede tv", have several programs in HD already. HD signal is standard in the biggest cities of Brazil, like Rio and Sao Paulo, Brasilia etc.

But advertising stuff, that is what I work the most, when I watch tv is still in SD. Off course middle class people have LCD TVs and watch HD movies and shows subscribing cable TV, but the majority has traditional TV sets (analog) in their houses with no digital converters or cable hdtv. I have a small studio and I was wondering if, in terms of cost benefit, it was a good choice to buy a not so old but used Sony BVM/PVM with a blackmagic affordable solution just to preview color/flickering etc. since it is what the wider audience is still using. Or do you think that broadcast lcd professional monitors are a better choice?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:57:11 am

the Sony BVM/PVM series is absolutely fantastic, and if you can get a good one, (one that is not soft), you will get great pictures for standard def video.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

Amir Qureshi
on Nov 9, 2009 at 1:34:09 am

BVM was, and still is the best and the most color accurate monitor ever to have existed on the planet earth, period. And that is both for 709 and 601 signals. PVM was/is the second in the chain of command and you can trust the colors on it with the same assurity as the BVM .

And as bob put it, if you can find either of the above in good condition, that would still be the way to go, even in 2009.

IMHO, LCDs and plasmas are simply, not, there, yet...Sony' best BVM class LCD is still not there yet. They are getting close, but still far from being color accurate for critical evaluation.

Plus, the biggest advantage of having a CRT is the fact that you can monitor your interlaced footage in its purest form and foresee any artifacts that you may yourself cause during editing/post process (retiming footage, transformations, etc.) And a CRT is THE ONLY way to monitor an interlaced SD signal in its truest form.

If you can find a BVM/PVM with an HD Card that would serve you well for 1080i/p as well. PVM came populated with an HD/SD component input from the factory (look for their 20L5/1 version if you will, that specific version have the capability of displaying 24p (23.976) signal.

Return to posts index

Bruno Rojas
on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:57:11 am

Thanks a lot Amir for the detailed explanation.

Thanks again Bob. :).

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 1, 2009 at 4:04:08 pm

so you are telling me, that companies in San Paulo and Rio do not own hi end LCD monitors ?

http://www.cbsp.com.br/

http://broadcastengineering.com/news/brazilian-network-transitions-news-ent...

why, right on Creative Cow, you can find hi end Brazilian companies -and I am sure that they currently own LCD (and not CRT) monitors.

http://services.creativecow.net/l/Brazil

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]