FORUMS: list search recent posts

GVG 100 help

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Schlussel
GVG 100 help
on Oct 15, 2009 at 1:18:38 am

I have a GVG 100, that is, an old Grass Valley video device for doing dissolves and wipes. I want to use it as a prop and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to light it up. It doesn't have a power outlet, just an 15pin VGA input.

Any help?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: GVG 100 help
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:33:28 pm

you are looking at the control panel. There is a matching 3 rack unit box that is the electronics
for this product. This is like saying - "I have a monitor and a keyboard - how do I get them to light up, without the computer". The power for this control panel (and the thing that makes the buttons lite up)
came from the GVG 3 rack unit box.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andrew Schlussel
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:19:35 pm

Thanks Bob. Would you happen to know the model number of rack unit box or is there a link you could find me to an image of one? I'm not finding much from my google searches on this.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:41:27 pm

Do you have the rack portion of the switcher? That's just the controller and I doubt you'll be able to get it to light up by itself. Maybe someone else knows a way to hack it together?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 15, 2009 at 6:31:11 pm

It hurts a little bit to see one be turned into a prop. Because we still have a working one here we use daily. The bulbs inside the switches are low voltage DC, if you can find the pin-outs for addressing them you could make up a cable and battery... Or you could open the thing up and find the traces that lead to the switches and tap into them there. Or bypass all of that, and simply run bright LED's inside the switches (the caps come off with gentle effort) with a simple wiring harness.

BTW, I need a replacement switch cap for one of these, if anybody is feeling charitable, I need an orange 2-piece cap off the program bus, the kind that comes apart so you can put a little label inside.

Mine came apart a little too much to re-assemble:-)

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Oct 18, 2009 at 8:00:42 am

maybe just giving the unit power will light up some button's
maybe i still have a doc somewhere i can have a look which pin's of the 15Pin dconnector are power.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Joel Wenz
on Oct 19, 2009 at 1:45:57 am

where are you located? we have the switcher and the rack unit bob is talking about sitting in our storage room - for sale or rent.

-j

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:24:02 am

I hope you are not using the switcher as a prop in a Star Wars fan film. That Death Star gun fader bar is a cliche. That being said, I must have made the death star gun sound 1000 times when I was TD of a newscast.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Ronny Wit
on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:37:39 pm

it uses digital serial interface to control the state of the panel...
your best way is to take it apart and wire manually lamps...
(lamps are rated 14V, but will work the best under 0-12V)

if you have the "brain" you can use it normally

you can use an older GVG, like the model 300 as it has analog control over the lamps and can easily be "played" with like a cristmas tree light.
i have one here, but it would be very expensive to ship...

Ronny.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]