FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video codecs and formats questions for broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruno Silva
Video codecs and formats questions for broadcast
on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:26:25 pm

Hello to all.

I have just started to work in broadcast , doing motion graphics and editing movies for comercial spots. ( Pal System, my area)

And I get stuck with some tecnical question that I need to understand so that I improve the quality of my productions and my workflow.

The company works this away.

A camara man films (using a Dv cam) what we need and then brings the camara and gives me a uncompressed file , with .mov format that , with the frame size 720*576 with pixel aspect ratio 1,09 , lower field, uncompressed Yuv 8 bit 4:2:2, and 11 minutes is like 13 Gb of space (at least that are the settings I get when I imported it to test it in AE)

1 Question.
For me to work this files, what the best format and codec, I should use to compress so that I work with smaller files that my machine can handle.

2 Question
During my workflow I need to do pre-renders some parts of my animation that have video and complex effects that slow down a lot the computer.

I tryed to use mpg2 using the Pal DV High Quality Adobe media Encoder settings tha uses codec: MainConcept Mpeg Video .
The pre-renders looks good but when I do the final render the stuff that I pre-render just look bad , loose a lot of quality.

So the question is what the best format and codec, to do, the between stuff (Proxies,PreRenders,etc). So that I can do the final render and the image is cryspe and clear.

3 Question
For final quest what is the best format to deliver to create the BETa Cam that is deliver to TV .

Thanks to all that can give me some help.
And sorry for any mispelled word .

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Video codecs and formats questions for broadcast
on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:57:40 pm

Before we can give you answers, you need to give us more information. Please tell us the kind of equipment you work with and the software you use for editing, effects work, audio, and compression.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bruno Silva
on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:13:37 pm

The company is new and we are at this point very limited. So I just hava a simple desktop machine with 4Gb ram, double core 2.4 and some random medium g-force, dont remember the model , but is nothing special.

I use the Adobe software workflow.

Adobe Premiere editing movie and Adobe After Effects creating the effects ,
the audio voices I just get it from other person that do the voices,
and the musics I use SonicFire Pro .

For compreension I use what the Adobe media encoder offers .

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:49:40 pm

If you can't afford any more gear, just work in DV. When your work is done, you'll have to find a shop locally to record it onto Beta SP. I expect you can't afford to buy neither a capture card like a Kona nor a Beta SP deck of your own.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]