FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheap seamless HDMI switcher (Yeah, I know...)

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Petereit
Cheap seamless HDMI switcher (Yeah, I know...)
on Sep 17, 2009 at 6:27:01 pm

OK, I didn't design this setup so don't bust my chops. I'm just trying to improve upon it without robbing a bank.

My church is currently using a basic HDMI switcher to switch between PC graphics (EasyWorship) and live video (from JVC-GYHD110U, routed through component-to-HDMI converter) displayed on two 14' x 8' screens using two Hitachi UXGA projectors.

The problem is that it's nowhere near being a seamless switch. (Surprise, surprise, right?) Press the button to switch signals, screens go black for 2 seconds, then the new image appears.

I'd like to find a basic, seamless switching solution, ideally under $1,000 but definitely under $5,000. Must support HD resolution (720p minimum) and minimize frame delay as much as possible, since we occasionally go IMAG. Can be a hard cut, but an automatic cross-fade would be awesome.

Anything out there like that? Or are you still trying to stop laughing? ;-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Cheap seamless HDMI switcher (Yeah, I know...)
on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:29:36 pm

Have you taken a look at the Edirol switchers? B&H shows one that might work for this, just under a grand. A step-up model includes SD inputs that can be mixed into your HD pictures.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Sep 18, 2009 at 10:09:11 am

Got a model number? I'm not finding it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 18, 2009 at 12:38:03 pm

My bad; the cheaper one is SD only. The better one, the Edirol v-440, can switch hd and sd and it works pretty well, but alas, no HDMI, I misremembered because it seemed to be able to handle anything, it uses SDI bnc cables, so you'd have to have an HDMI to SDi conversion box. And it's 8 grand. Which is a reasonable price for an HD switcher, but more than you were looking for.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Sep 18, 2009 at 12:44:09 pm

It looks like the cheapest HD switcher I have found so far is the Datavideo SE-2000 (B&H Photo $5,699.95). I was kind of hoping someone made a simple 2U rack mount switcher with simple buttons on the front that would be cheaper, but I haven't found anything yet.

I guess what they say is true: if you step up to HD, you have to pay to play.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:13:45 pm

HD= Higher. Dollars.

Return to posts index

Mehmet Salih Guran
on May 6, 2013 at 7:59:22 pm

hi community,
now it's 2013 and I want to know if anyone ever managed to switch a video show between hdmi signals from cheap HD camcorders through a more adwanced seamless switcher (like Kramer VS 41H) that was not originally intended for production job? Yes, I know the ATEM TV Studio, but I'm a curious guy.
Thanks

Doc

Return to posts index

Dan Halverson
on Oct 15, 2014 at 7:30:28 pm

Well, Its now Oct.2014 and yes, there are some other solutions, and from an unlikely company.

That was my first impression when I attended a Streaming Conference here in Huntington Beach, CA last year.

ROLAND! You know them for their audio components

ROLAND SYSTEMS GROUP Offers up a nice Video Switching Line that includes the following:

The VR-3EX is the lessor of the switcher/streaming units that comes in around $2100. Whats nice about this unit it is comes with built-in touch displays.

http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100137#.VD61oONdXOk

The next unit up is the V-40HD that comes in around $4000. This unit has no displays, but does have the rocker arm for transitions as apposed to using slider controls.

http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100118#.VD6woeNdXOk

Finally, there is the VR-50HD which has a slew of functions and features, displays and connectivity that comes in around $7500

http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100132#.VD6wWuNdXOk

I've had a chance to play with these units alittle, and when the time is right, I'll likely invest in the lessor of the three, as I don't play to go above HDMI at this point. And streaming out at 720p is more than sufficient for most webcasts.

A complete product line here: http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/categories/457

For those looking into web streaming, I suggest hooking up with "Streaming Media Magazine" They also have Expo Shows on the West and East Coast's http://www.streamingmedia.com

One last thing to add... I recently had my hands on a helpful streaming device called the Vidiu from Teradek. Its an all-in-one solution that connects directly up to your Standard/ProCam Corder (w/HDMI Out), that is battery powered and allows you to perform remote broadcasting in the field. The downside is that the internal battery only lasts about an hour, but there are external power options available.

http://www.teradek.com/pages/vidiu

Well Actually, this is the last thing... If the vidiu is out of your current price range, you can give it a spin such as I did thru BorrowLenses.com The rental prices are pretty inexpensive from 1 > 21 days, then the rental rate reverses and goes back up.

The trick to renting is to have the unit shipped to an actual FedEx Facility. You can have the unit 'HELD AT STATION' for you to pickup. The unit gets shipped via FedEx Ground, and the round-trip fee is $25. / The reason for this choice is so that you maximize the usage time, as apposed to using a local-to-you business pickup/drop-off.

*REMEBER* When returning FedEx Ground Items that require that days Post Mark, its earlier than the other FedEx shipping times.

And Finally... If you only rent the Vidiu for a few days, then decide you'd like to keep it longer, you can extend your rental via BorrowLenses Website (your account)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]