FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice for broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Knight
advice for broadcast
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:10:09 pm

I need some advice for broadcast. I edit a half-hour show which is about to start on Outdoor Channel. Currently, we shoot on HDV (Sony Z7U) and edit on a SD timeline in Final Cut Pro. I output to DVCam (Sony HVR-M35U deck) and send to a post facility for closed captioning and a dub to Beta SP.

A friend suggested that I might want to consider exporting a hi-res quicktime file (Apple ProRes) to a hard drive and send instead of using tape, thinking the quality might be better.

But the people doing the CC say I might as well just send tape, because they have to make a tape master first before they can make the CC dub (by the way it costs an extra $150 for them to take my hard drive).

They say the quality won't be any better by sending them the hard drive. I just want the finished project to look as good as I can get it.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Steve Knight

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: advice for broadcast
on Sep 14, 2009 at 5:42:12 pm

[Steve Knight] "Any suggestions?"

Send what the client and Closed Caption company ask for. Since it ends up on DV anyway, how will the quality improve if you supply a QT file then dub to DV opposed to outputting directly to DV? Save the $150.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 14, 2009 at 9:52:03 pm

everyone wants the "best possible quality", but the cable companies dont' give a crap about your quality- they just want to injest the next piece of crap. I have seen Digi Beta masters injested via composite video, and sent thru an old TBC. The client goes "why does my spot look like crap on the air".

Do what the client and close caption company want - if they want a Beta tape - send it to them.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Knight
on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:44:44 pm

Thanks guys. That's what I needed to know.

Steve Knight

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 15, 2009 at 1:51:03 pm

You could find a better closed captioning company. But that's really the client's problem.

Why not look at this as an opportunity, get some captioning software, do the captioning yourself, and create "added value" (and bill for more) to caption it yourself and send out a higher-quality master. That service is something you can apply to all your clients.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]