FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Beta Rec inhibit

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Kelly
Sony Beta Rec inhibit
on Sep 9, 2009 at 2:15:12 pm

I'm working with a Sony Beta PVW 2800 and the rec inhibit light comes on whenever I insert a smaller format Beta tape (30min)
When I put in a larger format (124 minute) I am having no issues, I am able to record just fine.

Any idea what the cause/solution to this is?

Peter

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Sony Beta Rec inhibit
on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:34:08 pm

Is one tape metal and one tape oxide? Turn the tapes over and compare the indexing holes, do they match 100 percent?

We're going to assume the record tab is locked properly on all of them:-)

Return to posts index

Peter Kelly
on Sep 9, 2009 at 7:27:58 pm

Yeah, the record tabs are in the correct position :)

I have tried over a dozen tapes (different brands) and I get the same thing every time.
It is as if the size of the tape is the issue.

I mainly want to record to a Sony 30 minute Metal Tape which is a no go.
The larger tapes I have are all used, so I don't have the original label to ensure if they are Metal or oxide (I did have a 90 min sony one that looks to be the same as the 30min metal Sony I have, and it works fine)

as for the indexing holes, yep they are exactly the same.

Could this be the smaller tapes aren't threading correctly for some reason?

Peter

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 9, 2009 at 7:47:42 pm

I'm guessing that if they thread up, but don't record, it is more than a threading/tension issue. Will the tapes thread up and play, fast-forward, and rewind? Just not go into record?

Another way to tell if they are oxide vs. metal (for some reason this is a thing I'm stuck on but it may be a blind alley) is the color of the shells and the shell doors, and often, an alphanumeric designator is machine-printed or stamped on an edge of the tape somewhere.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 9, 2009 at 7:54:09 pm

There is a menu setting, may be hidden in the deeper "engineering" menus, that will override or set the record inhibit on some of these decks. If you don't have the manual any more, try a PDF from Sony's site or one from Retrevo.com and look up the menu settings while we try to get a bead on the diagnosis.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 9, 2009 at 8:07:24 pm

http://www.mldvideo.com/support/VTR/Betacam/Sony-PVW2650-Manual.pdf

This machine plays back oxide or metal, but only records to metal.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:37:30 pm

OK I am not a whiz engineer like Bob or these other guys. But here is my thought process FWIW, it is mostly guesswork and rudimentary logic plus step by step process of elimination.

If it was a tape tension problem, I should think the large format shells with much more drag from larger tape loads, would be the ones most likely to not work right first, before little tapes. That has been my experience with older version DVCpro shoebox decks where the motors age and get too weak to pull a max tape load end to end.

Based on that tenuous logic, I would guess this betacam deck issue is not really a tape slack problem, if all large sized metal coated tapes work in record and play.

If the large tapes record and play fine, then it likely can't be a head clog issue. Clogs are not selective like that.

This brings me back to two ideas: a manually set menu setting that is inhibiting record, but that allows it on long play tapes, which seems improbable, or perhaps the machine is mis-identifying the tape as oxide in the small shells because the little pin and switch that detects the proper hole in the underside of the tape shell is broken or shorted.

I think that can only be true if there is a separate switch and hole dedicated just to the smaller shells. I don't think that's the case; my guess is that a better design ethos would be to make one switch work on any tape you put in, ergo, the indicator hole to signal "this tape is metal" must be in the same relative spot in all tape shells.

But I don't know for a fact if there is a separate hole that says "this tape be oxide, matey". Again, because two switches are more expensive than one, I'm going to guess the designers made do with one switch to detect between metal and oxide. If it is working on any large tapes, but not on ANY small ones, I think it can't be the switch.

I don't know that the machine has a secondary way to detect metal vs. oxide thru the rf level read by the heads. Maybe try a bulk-erased small tape and see if that makes a difference. I doubt it will.

OK, answer these q's.

The smaller tape that won't record; does it load up all the way or immediatly get spit out automatically?

Does just the inhibit light come on, but the tape still stays inside until manually commanded to eject?

If the smaller tape stays in, can you play, fast-forward, and rewind it? What do you see then?

Have you hand-turned the hubs until the tape is so tight you can't turn the hubs in opposite directions any more? Did this have any effect when loaded?

When was the last time the machine worked all right with this kind of tape, and what's changed since then?

Has the machine had the heads and transport path cleaned? When last?

Does the display give an error code number at any point when loading and trying to record the trouble tape? What is the code?

That's all I can think of for now.

Return to posts index

Peter Kelly
on Sep 11, 2009 at 1:40:55 pm

Thanks for all the responses

I'm actually not working in the office with the Beta Deck today, but I will answer the questions I know for a fact and check/double check the rest on monday

The smaller tape that won't record; does it load up all the way or immediatly get spit out automatically?
Does just the inhibit light come on, but the tape still stays inside until manually commanded to eject?
If the smaller tape stays in, can you play, fast-forward, and rewind it? What do you see then?

Small tapes do not get spit out. I can rewind fast forward, watch whatever is on the tape and eject it manually with no issues
The entire time the inhibit light is on, and I am unable to record

Have you hand-turned the hubs until the tape is so tight you can't turn the hubs in opposite directions any more? Did this have any effect when loaded?

Haven't tried this, will try on Monday. I am attempting to record onto brand new Sony Metal tapes though. tried several different ones, no difference. Also tried with several older, used tapes. No difference

When was the last time the machine worked all right with this kind of tape, and what's changed since then?

The deck was used 2 weekes prior for exporting with this kind of tape (from the same box of Sony Betas, with no issues.
As for what has changed. I want to say nothing...but I have junior editors working at night, using it to digitize footage. They say they haven't changed a thing, but with 3-4 of us using the computer it is hooked to, I can't say for sure.

Has the machine had the heads and transport path cleaned? When last?

The deck was purchased used 6 months ago. I was told it was checked out and cleaned as a condition of the sale (I had nothing to do with the purchase, so beyond that I don't know...will look into this though to get specifics)

Does the display give an error code number at any point when loading and trying to record the trouble tape? What is the code?
I am not getting a error message.

Return to posts index

Randy Pfeiffer
on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:43:01 pm

Hi Peter,

Just found this thread and thought I'd chime in...

The PVW2800 has (IIRC) 2 switches to detect record lock-out on the tape. The large format tapes use a tab on the left (looking down on bottom of tape) and the small tape has the tab on the right.

My guess is that the lock-out detector switch for the small cassettes has gone bad.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Randy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]