FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which HDTV? Monitoring via HDMI.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curt Schulz
Which HDTV? Monitoring via HDMI.
on Sep 3, 2009 at 11:04:02 pm

I want to monitor and color correct my HD content via HDMI combined with an HDTV and would appreciate any advice . I'm currently using a MacBook Pro and most of my work is HDV however I'm looking forward to the Red Scarlet (2/3) in the next year. I am considering the Matrox MXO2 Mini and a Sharp LC40E77U 40-Inch 1080p (mostly because I already own a 37" 720p Sharp Aquos that I like and this newer model is 10-bit).

Are there any other HDTVs (under $1500) that are more suitable for monitoring (i.e. better to calibrate, more accurate for broadcast, etc.)?
Will the Matrox MXO2 Mini do the job well?

Thanks,
Curt

Curt Schulz
MBP 2.53 4GB Ram/Mac OS 10.5.8/FCP7

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Which HDTV? Monitoring via HDMI.
on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:42:20 pm

Get the HP Dreamcolor! 10-bit monitor, and the HDMI output of the MXO2 and MXO2 mini is 10-bit, so matrox tells me. It is closer to $2000...but I REALLY want to try that combo out.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 6, 2009 at 2:20:12 am

Shane,

I'm a bit confused. This monitor class has been out since June of 2008, but I've heard NO buzz on the street about HP monitor solutions and know of nobody in professional practice that is using any of these for professional work.

Is this a trend I've missed for more than a year - even tho I'm constantly looking for improved monitoring?

Why so little street talk about this?

Are you using some version? If so, what are your experiences with it?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 6, 2009 at 2:31:17 am

This monitor was designed for Dreamworks when the made KUNG FU PANDA. They wanted a computer monitor that would be able to show them what they would see on the big screen. But at the time they were only DVI and I think Component. They have since added a few connections. Not many people have these as they are expensive...and they have not sent out any monitor for people to review. So there is no buzz...and little mention.

Shane

Return to posts index

Franco Bogino
on Sep 21, 2009 at 7:55:15 am

Hi Shane

You've given me some advice in another thread about monitoring for grading. Just wanted to know more about the HP Dreamcolor HP, I've seen one second hand for a good price. Would this be an adequate solution for grading on Color? Part of the appeal is that it can be used both via DVI and thorough Composite/ HDMI, so I can start out with DVI and move to other options when I can upgrade my video card or get something like a MOX2. What do you think? Would it still be pretty useless to use a monitor like this, but through DVI?
Cheers

Franco

London based Avid/ FCP offline editor.
FCP Online.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:14:31 am

Sorry, zero clue about the HP Dreamcolor.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]