FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound out of snyc in UK Broadcast Show, filmed/edited in US (NTSC)

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Riches
Sound out of snyc in UK Broadcast Show, filmed/edited in US (NTSC)
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:58:55 pm

Hi All,

I film and edit programs in the US (NTSC) that are sent to London and broadcast on Sky TV throughout Europe (PAL).

I have all the capture/export settings correct - or so I feel, and many of the shows I send are fine, but there are some that has the sound line com-completely out of snyc, even though they play fine when viewed here before sending. Can anyone help?

I have included my settings below, and hope you may be able to shine some light on them?

I've been told that some, not all of my programs, bring sent to the UK for broadcast have problems with the sound being out of sync, and have been told is likely due to an issue with interlacing.

I just wanted to send you a quick overview of my settings, which I check each time before filming, capturing, and exporting, to see if you can spot if there is a problem with my set up. Before exporting, I am reviewing the entire show from start to finish, and checking all of the sound levels, as well as watching it through upon exporting, and everything looks and works just fine here with the settings I am using below.

I am going to invest in a CRT monitor as advised, although I cannot afford a new one, I will get the best one I can afford. Do you have any advice/tips as to things I should be checking for?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Camera Settings: Sony HVR-Z1U

Component: 1080i/480i
Audio Mode: FS48K (the only other option is FS32K) - Should I still have the capture/export setting as 44.1kHz, or at 48kHz?

Capture Settings: Sony GV-HD-700

Component: 1080i/480i
Audio: DV AU. Mode: 16BIT

Export: FCP 6.0.5

Export - Using Quicktime Conversion.
Compression Type: DVCPRO50 - NTSC (I see that this show's '50' and on my camera it shows 60i next to the DV SP. Could this cause any problems? I know we checked this out when I ca
me to meet with you, and you said my camera set up was fine. I just thought as an observation it was worth mentioning).
Frame Rate: 29.97
Compressor Quality: Best
Scan Mode: Interlaced
Aspect Ratio 16:9 (camera setting filmed in 16:9)
Size: NTSC 720 x 486 16:9

Sound for Export: Linear PCM
Stereo (L,R)
Rate: 48.00kHz (relating back to my previous question about my camera setting which is also 48k (and can only be set to 32 or 48)
Linear PCM Settings Sample Size: 16

I check these each time I film, upload footage, and export, which seems strange that only some of the programs I send encounter a problem?

Any light that you may be able to shine on this problem would certainly be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob Riches

LA Muscle TV: Sky Channel 281

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Sound out of snyc in UK Broadcast Show, filmed/edited in US (NTSC)
on Aug 29, 2009 at 4:58:42 pm

I don't see how interlace enters into an audio problem, but frame rate does. If you bump a 30 fps program into 24 frame PAL, you get a speed change, depending on settings. Are you making the original sequences in true 24-frames or not?

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: Sound out of snyc in UK Broadcast Show, filmed/edited in US (NTSC)
on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:22:54 pm

well

you deliver in 29,97 FPS while the UK is a 25 FPS country.
they have to do framerate conversion.
maybe it is wise to do the framerate conversion yourself and check before delivery.
framerate can give lipsync issue's when done badly.
indeed checking lipsync on a CRT is good practise. what you put in a CRT come's out almost immediately.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]