FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old School Deck 3/4"

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gil Litver
Old School Deck 3/4"
on Aug 27, 2009 at 3:46:16 pm

Alright, so I know there ancient and extinct but I still use it for old footage i have. I have a Sony VO 5800 and recently it decided to stop working. Heres the scenario: I put the tape in. The tape gets properly threaded in the machine. Both FF and REW work fine. I push play...it plays for a second comes out of play goes into stand by and comes out of stand by as if i pushed stop. I know the machine is probably 30 years old but is there any hope for this deck?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Old School Deck 3/4"
on Aug 27, 2009 at 5:12:12 pm

Could be tape tension is a bit out of spec, or one of the mechanical switches is out of whack, or a guide is out of spec. Basically, a tune up with a tentalometer and an alignment tape is what I'd try first. But that's just a guess, and I'm not competent to actually DO that maintenance. These decks are tanks, a little maintenance adn it will continue to run long and hard, you just need to get it to a shop where the guy still knows what a "greenie" is for.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 27, 2009 at 10:28:46 pm

Hi Gil,
yes, you have to SPEND MONEY to HIRE someone that is a qualified VTR service tech, who has been trained to work on 3/4" VTR's (or any other VTR's that you may run into in the future, like Beta VTR's, etc.). This is not like a computer, where you can "poke around" and figure it out. You will not figure it out. You need to HIRE someone, and you will not get accurate information on any internet user forum.

Sorry, but those are the facts. Everyone today thinks that they are dealing with a firewire drive.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:53:45 pm

I remember something simple that used to make this happen. Is the tape rewound all the way to the head, where there is clear leader? Sometimes the sensors mistake this for "no tape" or a jam and just stop. Pop the tape out and manually advance some of the tape onto the takeup reel so that there's actual video tape and try popping it in again. Not saying it's that, but might as well try the dead simple thing first...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]