Question good old VPR3

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maurice jansen
Question good old VPR3
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:26:13 pm

hi there all

i have a question about the VPR3
since a little time the display is showing capstan current high.
i already cleaned all part's that i can think of but that did not help.
when i look at the pressuremeters on the back everything looks ok.
only the airflow meter is not showing anything in play.
it give's good reading when you press stop and the tape is fluidly dropping tension. but no airflow when tape is rolling.

when i raise the tension arm i feel airflow on the capstan.
and the airflow meter gives readout.

any suggestion where to look

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Question good old VPR3
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:18:29 pm

#1 - throw out the VPR3.

#2 - pull out the head assembly. Open it up (don't worry - you are not changing any heads, so there is no alignment issue here) - you will find that inside they use CARBON BRUSHES (unlike sony that used copper wire brushes), and the carbon is conductive, and arcs, and you get all kinds of bizarre problems. This was part of the standard regular preventive maintenance of the VPR3.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:47:20 pm

;-)

#1 - throw out the VPR3.
you won't believe this but the deck is used weekly and urning money big time.
my boss will kill me if i throw it out. people want to have there old crap digital before it get's impossible.

#2 - well your a experienced guy so the carbon brushes is a thing that i will check.
but i don't understand what this has to do with the capstan. what the warning is saying to me is that the capstan is having a hard time pulling the tape through the transport. what has this to do with the scanner assembly ? of coarse the tape is laying around it and the scanner is giving friction. but if the RPM of the
scanner is wrong comparing to tape speed i would have error's in the picture. this is not the case. the deck is operational.
can you explain i guess i'm missing something.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:43:49 pm

I don't remember quite where they are (it's been a few years) but make sure that the air filters for the vacuum pumps are clean.Check the air line to the capstan and make sure that it is clean as well. I don't remember if anything changes with the vacuum to the capstan as the transport modes change, but check this out to be sure. There could be a dirty relay or a stuck air valve hiding somewhere in there.
I miss the old VPR3's.They were so fast and locked up in an instant. They also make the best noise as the scanner spins up. Once you hear it, you will recognize it forever.
Tom

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.--Ferris Bueller

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:00:05 pm

hi there

still no progress.
have replaced some hoses which isn't that simple as it sounds.
there are 4 pressure control's the 2 on the bottom and the one on the left give a reaction on the meters but the one on the right gives no reaction. i can't feel air coming out of the tapeguides on the scanner do you guy's have a practical way to check ???
can there also be an electrical cause for high capstan current.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]