FORUMS: list search recent posts

TBC-PVW2800 connections

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dolps fernando
TBC-PVW2800 connections
on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:14:53 pm

Hi guys.

I tried to purchase a few equipment for my studio to solve my problem, apparently my release tapes from PVW2800 looks a bit blurred(specially on air) than the original online material that I made using my existing editing machine(FCP/Blackmagic Extreme Card/Waveform). So I'm hoping this would work... I bought a TBC (snell & wilcox TBS 24). Apparently it didn't come with a manual. I just want to ask how to connect it to my PVW2800 for dubbing(should I just use composite/s-video/betacam dub cable), I'm hoping it will help my dub video to look sharper. Another thing,do I really need to feed an black burst on it and to my PVW2800? I also ordered a BSG-50 for my equipment but I hope I could make everything work or test it so that I don't need to wait for it. I'm pretty in need of some expert advice from you guys!
Cheers!

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: TBC-PVW2800 connections
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:34:40 pm

hi

hooking up Ref is alway's a wise thing to do.
you can use a other stable videosource for that if you don't have BB.
if you want things sharp don't think about composite use component.
let an expert look at your machine bluriness can come from several misalingment's a bit hard tell. it is always wise to let your machine checked once and a while. it's analog so it will become out of spec if you don't service on a regular basis.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:16:30 pm

The Sony PVW-2800 has a built in time base corrector that you cannot bypass. The controls for the TBC are right under the front panel.
Your heads are probably shot on this old VTR. If you hook up your Snell, you are hooking up a TBC's output into another TBC. You will accomplish absolutely nothing.

All Sony Beta VTRs (BVW series, PVW series, UVW series) have built in time base correctors.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:54:02 pm

I think he's thinking about the S&W as an INPUT to the Beta deck. Yes? That's how I read it anyway. If the S&W has component outputs, that's what you want to feed into your Beta deck. Composite isn't as clean.
Try to define blurry video a bit better. Unless there are some kind of processing controls on the external TBC to "sharpen" the video, it's probably not going to help you that much. The Beta deck is capable of a decent recording if the signal going into it is good. If the incoming signal is much better looking than the output from the machine, the Beta deck may be to blame and may need repair or alignment. In this case, adding more processing to the input isn't going to help.
Tom

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.--Ferris Bueller

Return to posts index

dolps fernando
on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:08:40 pm

Thanks for the information Tom, you got it right that I'm planning to use the TBC as an Input signal on my betacam deck. I'm thinking to put it between my FCP-decklink-(S&W) -betacam when I dub my videos. My main problem was that the S&W don't have a component input and output(only S-vid/composite and betacam dub cable). That's why I'm confused if I'm just going to settle with an composite connection. I also understand that the betacam decks has it own built-in TBC but im wondering why to manufacturers made this stuff? Is it really used for recording/dubbing to analog tapes? I think I'm using it or connecting it the wrong way to my system right now. Should I just bought a ProcAmp instead of a TBC? Do guys know any reference on proper/typical connection diagram for a TBC and why do we need it. Sorry for being so naive.

Regarding to the problem on "bluriness". I try to compare my commercial on air with other TV commercials and I find it not that sharp as the other TVCs as if it was dubbed from tape to other tape and there's some sort of gen loss or softness to the picture quality. It doesn;t look as crisp and as sharp as we see it during the online. Though I'm working 10-bit all the way.

If the PVW2800 was misaligned, can we just use the alignment tape? I bought my deck with it but never used it and don't know how to use it. hmm. Think I need a lot of some expert advice from you guys.

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:37:36 pm

well at first.

in the industrie we often don't call things by there name.(bad habit)
the snell is actually a framesycroniser which is more then a TBC.
a TBC is in general a device that stabelize the unstable output of a vtr in the earlier day's this was a seperate unit now aday's it's implemented in the deck. a tbc in it's most native form cannot syncronise a signal it can only stabelize it. your snell can frame syncronize a signal that's why it was sold seperate. it was mostly used to syncronize remotefeeds to studio ref.

again don't use composite if you want to use the snell use the dub connection.

bob often cried out loud to me that it is impossible to explain adjustments on decks on a forum although i tried.
please find your self a local expert to service your deck he will be worth the money.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Carlos E Dominguez v
on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:32:21 am

Hola Fernando, me gustaria compartir informacion sobre el pvw2800 que podria ser util para ambos, he tenido problemas similares y no se si en este foro o podriamos contactar por e-mail

saludos

Carlos

Return to posts index

Andres Delgado
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:25:07 pm

Hola Carlos, fijate que tengo un problema tambien con esa betacam, no puedo hacer una copia desde el final cut, no se que pasa... Sera que me puedes dar una mano? Saludos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]