FORUMS: list search recent posts

Yes, another 1080p or 1080i question.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darrell Beck
Yes, another 1080p or 1080i question.
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:29:36 pm

I know there have been thousands of questions about whether to shoot in progressive, or interlaced, but the more I read, the more conflicting information I get.

Next week, I start production for a program to be aired nationally. Based on what I read, my goal was to shoot in progressive, edit progressive, deliver progressive. Why? According to what I've read: "interlaced is old technology, all modern televisions are progressive, computers are progressive, etc, etc, etc..."

But, the specifications from the network (PBS) say to deliver interlaced. Are the specifications out of date? Would it be wise to be shooting interlaced?

Thanks for any help and clarification.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
Re: Yes, another 1080p or 1080i question.
on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:12:02 pm

It's more a matter of taste than outdated-ness. There are plenty of interlaced HD formats. If PBS wants you to shoot interlaced, then shoot interlaced. They most likely want 1080i 59.94
Joey

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 25, 2009 at 10:09:19 pm

well this is a discussion that will go on for ages.

mater of taste yes in the production process.
no in the broadcast process.
1080P for broadcast is still a illusion. yes it can be done.
but no they don't because we want to squeeze as much channels in the bandwith as possible.
can you imagine that you have to miss al these non saying channels ;-)
it's more the question 720P or 1080I. they need aprox the same bandwith.
but do have there do's and don'ts
next to that consumers or no brainers which rule our business are turned on by numbers.
1080 sounds better then 720.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:58:36 pm

[Darrell Boeck] "But, the specifications from the network (PBS) say to deliver interlaced. Are the specifications out of date? Would it be wise to be shooting interlaced?"

The specs are not out of date. Most stations air either 1080/59.94i or 720/59.94p. This is not a problem to shoot progressive and edit progressive and then deliver interlaced, provided you have a video card that can add pulldown on output. AJA Kona 3 is one. It can be set to receive the 24p signal from FCP and add in the fields in a 2:3 cadence so that on output it puts out 1080/59.94i.

Your other option if you still want to shoot progressive is to capture that material as 59.94i - adding pulldown on capture. This can be done with the capture card or sometimes with a setting on the playback machine.

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
on Aug 27, 2009 at 2:04:42 am

Thanks everyone for all this feedback. This really helps. I never expected the switch to HD to have such a steep learning curve. SD was so much easier!

I've made the decision to shoot interlaced. I like the look better. Movements are smoother and my style is to use a bit of slow motion, and that looks much better interlaced.

Thanks again,
Darrell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]