FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ye Olde TBC Sony BVT810 V Phase

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jorgo Kusters
Ye Olde TBC Sony BVT810 V Phase
on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:50:54 pm

Hi,
I have recently aquired an old Timebase corrector. The Sony BVT-810, used to be for U-Matic tapes.
It is giving me problems with the V-Phase. It has an indicator LED which is either red or green. Ofcourse I want it to be green.
The V-Phase button on board4 does not seem to be responding.
And I do think I hooked it up correctly:
1 Input via BNC from VHS player
2 Output1 to monitor
3 Output2 to computer
4 Output3 to ref video in

Still the imahe is shifted down with a lot of black/white info in the top...

I also tried a kramer blackburst generator on ref-video without succes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Jorgo

Return to posts index

Steven Bradford
Re: Ye Olde TBC Sony BVT810 V Phase
on Aug 24, 2009 at 11:57:14 pm

I believe this is your problem:

Output3 to ref video in

The TBC output should not go to the ref video in on hte deck.

Looking up a picture of the 810 I found on line, what you probably need to do is send a black signal to the ref in on the deck, and to the refernence composite video in on the 810. You could get this from a camera and loop it through the 810 Ref in/out to the deck.

That's my guess from memory.

Steven Bradford
http://www.3dstereomedia.com 3D company I've worked with since 1990
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/ my personal home page, find my greenscreen page there.
http://www.seattlefilminstitute.com the school I teach at.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Tom Matthies
on Aug 25, 2009 at 1:22:26 am

Also looking at t picture of the TBC on line. You want to feed a reference signal to the REF. input on the TBC. If you don't loop it, you need to terminate it. Then take the advanced sync (ADV SYNC) from the TBC and hook that up to the sync/reference input of your deck. Hopefully you are using a broadcast deck with this input. Make sure the deck is set to external or "TBC" reference if equipped.If tour deck will accept it, also hook the subcarrier output (SC OUTPUT)from the TBC to the deck as well. Then take the composite video from your deck and hook it to the off Tape Video input of the TBC. If your deck is so equipped, feed the dropout compensator signal (DOC RF) into the TBC as well. That should be about it. If you are using a consumer type deck without the various inputs, you might want to try using a full frame TBC or Frame Synchronizer instead of your TBC. You won't have control over the vertical phase otherwise.
Tom

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.--Ferris Bueller

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Bob Zelin
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:19:50 am

Tom is very correct. The BVT800 and BVT810 were specifically designed for the Sony BVU800 and BVU820 3/4" U-Matic VTR's. These are NOT FRAME SYNCHRONIZERS, so if you are trying to lock up a VHS machine to go into a modern digital card (like an AJA, Blackmagic or Matrox), it won't work.

If you are using a 3/4" VTR (like a sony BVU800 or even a Sony VO-5850), you genlock the Ref Video input of the TBC to your system (your AJA, Blackmagic, AVID, etc.) with a black gen. Then you take the Adv Sync, and go to the Ext Sync input of the 3/4" VTR. Take the SC out and go to the EXT SC on the 3/4" VTR. And as Tom said, take the DOC out, and go into the DOC IN (or RF in) of the 3/4" VTR. You will also see a big silver multi pin connector that you don't have the cable for. This was for the BVU-820 3/4" VTR that did slo mo, and was required for the BVU820 and BVT810 to work together.

The vintage of this product is about 1983 or 1984. God, I am old.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:18:21 pm

Ditto...
Tom

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.--Ferris Bueller

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:19:36 pm

Jeez...
Even the phrase "ditto" is ancient and no one even knows what it refers to anymore.

Return to posts index

Jorgo Kusters
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:51:53 pm

Thanks everyone,
I was indeed trying to connect a classic consumer VHS to the TBC.

So... anyone in the market for a vintage BVT810 :-)

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Jorgo Kusters
on Aug 30, 2009 at 12:13:20 pm

One more thought...
Since I have a working TBC, would it be possible if I can get my hands on a "vintage" U-matic recorder, to loop the VHS through the U-matic and then record the corrected signal?

I have a small budget and full frame TBC's are still rather expensive (would love a For-A).

Kind Regards
Jorgo

Kind Regards,
Jorgo

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 30, 2009 at 10:24:09 pm

you can buy used DataVideo TBC-1000 on ebay for $189. You can buy lots of stuff cheap on ebay. A TBC is a time base corrector - it is not a frame synchronizer. If you dont' get a frame sync, you cannot accomplish what you want to do. There is no "work around".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jorgo Kusters
on Aug 31, 2009 at 6:38:28 pm

Thanks Bob,
back to ebay it is
:-)

Kind Regards,
Jorgo

Return to posts index

David Gray
Re: Connecting a sony VO9850 to AJA Kona LHe plus video card
on Jan 1, 2016 at 10:09:24 pm

Hello! We have video footage on 3/4 U-matic tapes that need to be convert to Quicktime files. We have a Sony VO9850 U-Matic deck. We need to connect it to our AJA Kona LHe plus card in a MacPro 4,1
OS X 10.8.5 24GB Ram 2x2.26 Quad-Cre Intel Xeon tower. How do we connect the two or what do we need to connect the two? Thanks in advance,
David at SGI (Solid Gray Inc.)

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Connecting a sony VO9850 to AJA Kona LHe plus video card
on Jan 5, 2016 at 9:19:13 pm

Ideally you will need a TBC or a frame sync to go between the deck and your Kona card. Traditional TBCs are getting pretty scarce but SD frame syncs are still available both new and used. A quick search of eBay turned up quite a few used units and all pretty cheap. Leitch and DPS are decent brands. A frame sync should be able to handle the video straight out of your deck without external references required. Just go from the deck to the frame sync and into the analog (NTSC) input on the Kona card. You could try to go right from the deck into the composite input of the Kona card. It might work, but there will likely be some horzontal jitter in the video since that's what a TBC or frame sync corrects.
Another possibility is to find a frame sync or TBC with the matching "dub" input that is on the back of tour deck. This should yield a better picture than going into the frame sync through the composite video input. If you buy a used frame sync or TBC, check them carefully for good operation. These things are getting pretty old and some of the components will deteriorate over the years and affect the performance of the unit.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]