COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Newton
Station Specs
on Aug 22, 2009 at 3:41:25 pm

Hey

I have a question regarding tv station specs --- now I deal with PAL --- SD

I got the new station specs and some of them require the following ----

some stations require that the audio has to have four audio channels or something ---

example:-

Audio Channel 1 English
Audio Channel 2 x
Audio Channel 3 English
Audio Channel 4 x

Now the way I always do the tapes are as normal --- but when i look at the digi machine --- it shows only two audio channels active ---- could someone help me out

in addition ---- some stations require the audio to be mono instead of stereo --- again what would i need to do --- as these tapes are given to me ---- when they are already finished ---- so i just make the broadcast tape ----- Please could someone help me out ----

Awaiting for your reply

Regards,

Dan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Station Specs
on Aug 23, 2009 at 2:26:26 pm

Hi Dan -
do you work for a dubbing house? Are you used to simply popping in a tape in one VTR, assigning it to another VTR (or bank of VTR's) and just hitting the play and record buttons to make a dub ? Does your dubbing facility have lots of broadcast equipment (like waveform monitors, audio meters, audio mixers) to allow you to monitor and modify the original tapes to meet these specifications. Because if you don't have access to certain gear, you can't do this job.

Replies below -

you write -
some stations require that the audio has to have four audio channels or something ---
REPLY -
many stations have specific specifications about their audio - where they want the audio levels to be set at, mono, stereo, split track for international work, etc. There are different levels used for digital, or analog, and every station delivery requirement is different. For example, Discover and NBC/Universal wants you to deliver audio dialog at -23dBFS. The only way to check this is with a Dolby LM100 meter. Bet you don't have one of these. When you say "or something" - or something is DIFFERENT for every station, because every damn station wants something different. It's not like the old days, where you set up tone to 0VU on channels 1 and 2, and make your dub. Today, there are LOTS of specifications, and you have to match all of them.

example:-

Audio Channel 1 English
Audio Channel 2 x
Audio Channel 3 English
Audio Channel 4 x

REPLY -
ok, what is x and x - is x and x foreign language ? Do you have a master with audio on channels 1 and 2, and now you have to reassign these channels to 1 and 3, leaving 2 and 4 empty for international track. You can do this with analog audio using a audio patch bay, where you patch channel 1 out of the PB VTR into channel 1 in of the R VTR. Then patch channel 2 out of the PB VTR into channel THREE of the R VTR.

Now the way I always do the tapes are as normal --- but when i look at the digi machine --- it shows only two audio channels active ---- could someone help me out

REPLY -
your Digi Beta VTR has 4 audio meters on it. This applies to Sony VTR's like the DVW-M2000, and the DVW-A500. If you only see 2 channels of audio - it only has 2 channels of audio. If you have to move channel 1 to channel 1 and channel 2 to channel 3, you PATCH to get it to the correct channels. You have not provided details of what need to happen for channels 2 and 4. Do they want a mono mix on one channel, do they want silence ?

in addition ---- some stations require the audio to be mono instead of stereo --- again what would i need to do --- as these tapes are given to me ---- when they are already finished ---- so i just make the broadcast tape -----

REPLY - if they want mono, you put your audio into an audio mixer (do you have one), and mono out the 2 tracks by turning the PAN controls on the mixers faders to the center. This will mono out the tracks. You take the output of the mixer, and go back into the R-VTR, so you can provide a mono track.

Don't worry Dan - this is getting worse. Many stations require Sony SRW-5500 delivery for HD, and this has 12 channels of discreet audio - and the stations that require this have different requirements for all of these channels. Is it difficult, and a pain in the ass - YOU BET IT IS !

The people that said that "digital will make everything easy" were wrong.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]