FORUMS: list search recent posts

Generating Masters from/to Beta sp for Broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Clemente
Generating Masters from/to Beta sp for Broadcast
on Aug 18, 2009 at 4:58:58 am

Hello, This is my first post in this Forum. I have been transfering consumer videos from one media to another using a mix from standalone decks and PC. Most my AV hookups are done with RCA/SVids or Component leads.
Once in a while we encounter request to transfer Beta sp to DV or DVD which isnt hard when going from one deck to another. But lately we have had alot of inquiries asking to make Beta Sp masters for TV airing or turn a Betasp to Dv master for airing.
I know all the answers are in this forum but I only have a couple of weeks to commit to these jobs or well los'em .
We Have a Sony Betasp UV-W1800 , Dvdeck DHR-1000 . Macbook w/mini_DVI port & Firewire 400, Vectorscope and Color Black level generator.
I understand station requirements vary a little but for the most require 1min color bars/tone 8sec slate(not sure what this is)
2 sec of black 7.5Ire and movie starts at 1:00:00:00

Can some one please tell me if I have enough equipment to generate a master to DVD/Dv if someone brought in a Betasp?and if not what do I lack. Do have a little money in budget to get the right equipment.thnks

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: Generating Masters from/to Beta sp for Broadcast
on Aug 18, 2009 at 4:22:02 pm

well
your setup is very basic at least get your self good PPM audiometers.
and maybe brickwall limiters. the audiometers on a UVW are no good.
next to that get the deliveryspec's from the station's they can all be different make the tape's the way THEY want. and be aware of timecode all must be frame accurate. if you are not sure.
let a dubbing facility do the job for you. your tape's will be checked and will be refused when made the wrong way. this will cost you more then a well experienced dub house.
a slate is a titlecard with info about the clip like duration advertiser etc etc.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Walter Clemente
on Aug 20, 2009 at 9:42:32 pm

We've been doing consumer dubs for the last 7years and would like to go pro.I did a job for a doctor and in the last 10sec it rolled,lost sinc. The poor guy needed it before I could correct it.i dont want to ever put out such trash again. Thanks for trying to tell me what I need to do this properly.I wish you could have elaborated a bit more.
maybe I should have been more clear. The client gave us a DVD to put on a Beta Sp. we used a color bar generator from a camcorder then switched to the DVD source. I had a problem maintaining black levels and color levels because it came from two sources(camcorder and the DVD). 2nd problem with maintaining audio levels I think a PPM audio meter as you suggested will help me big time .should the ave audio be set at -10db and max zero??
3rd problem is there is no flying erase heads on the uv-w1800 so glitches was just horrifying.Im guessing a video switcher??
4th was syncing.we solved that.

I was naive when I bought all thi$$ linear progear from another dub house which included the Betasp, controllers,old vector scope a commodore PC,obsolete looking cables nd breakout boxes.
I would like to do my dubs nonlinearly and thats why I brought up the Macbook with only a minidvi port and a Final cut express.
If I could do this without the Mac that would be great also.But the Mac affords me the ability to color bar and black level generate.
I do have requirements from a few tv stations but i decided not to take betasp transfers untill i resolve these issues.can someone please offer me help.Thanks people great site.

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 21, 2009 at 5:19:27 pm

hey

although the deck is basic/lower profile it can produce good tape's (if in good condition). some feature's are not there. making a seamless edit on the deck is not supported. you can only make a good recording if it is given to the deck as a whole. the deck can't do editing. if you need that you need a deck or from the PVW series or if you want the best possible on beta SP level in the BVW series.
so make the complete program including bars and tone on the macbook and output that to the deck.

your setup "sorry to say" is not on broadcast level.
so making broadcast dub is living on the edge. on profesional /industrial level you can generate tape's which are fine.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Walter Clemente
on Aug 21, 2009 at 8:15:12 pm

Thanks for telling me what my limitations are.You saved me alot of time I have a better picture of what needs to be done now .If I was to capture the Clients video onto the mac and back out to Betasp will there be noticeable loss?
would adding a Video mixer to my setup give me a better poduct?

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 22, 2009 at 8:14:18 am

hey

i don't know how your IO between the macbook and the analog world is.
if you use firewire in it's normal fashion you will be on DVCAM level. But there are interfaces that can encode direct to prores or something like that. i guess your good for your applications

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]