FORUMS: list search recent posts

Harris legalizer problem

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wollsey
Harris legalizer problem
on Jul 30, 2009 at 6:33:02 pm

Hi all,

I work with FCP, KONA 3 and a Harris broadcast legalizer to make broadcast masters on HDCAM.

Despite sending all signal through the legalizer, I have had several shows knocked back for illegal chroma.

I have checked that all settings on the legalizer are correct. I talked to Harris and they said that the Harris legalizers are made to be used for tape to tape copying only - that is you need to have two HDCAM decks, and copy your un-legalized master to the other deck with the legalizer in between. The Harris engineers say that their products will not necessarily work properly with the signal from a KONA card.

Does anyone know of any other hardware legalizers that will work properly with the signal from a KONA card? I really do not want to have to purchase another HDCAM deck just for this purpose!

Regards,

PW

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Harris legalizer problem
on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:30:07 am

I have addressed this on the AJA Kona forum. The #1 application of Videotek (Harris) legalizers is NLE to VTR. Harris has given you incorrect information. If you don't have a waveform monitor on your system to verify that the "legalization" is working, no one can assist you further. This is what scopes are all about. Legalizers are not magic boxes.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dustin Ebsen
Re: Harris legalizer problem
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:03:59 pm

I have had issues with HD Gamut legalization when delivering to networks. Some networks have tighter color requirements than others. I use the Harris HD legalizer and Leader rasterizer scopes. You need to set the legalizer using a scope to verify the proper gamut setting. The legalizer is not a set and forget box. You need to see what the RGB is doing and that you maintain a limit of 120 IRE gamut if the network requires that. This has nothing to do with the more common luma limit of 100 to 110 IRE although changing the RGB values will effect it.

Dustman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]