FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD/HD Broadband Broadcast : Starting from scratch

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daren Afshar
SD/HD Broadband Broadcast : Starting from scratch
on Jul 13, 2009 at 5:02:24 am

I just joined this fabulous forum and wanted to say thank you to all who post regularly.

We're based in Japan and typically work with film. But, we'll be putting together a 3 ( or 4 ) camera talk show for broadcast on the internet. This will NOT be a live broadcast and even though we'll be broadcasting on one of the world's fastest internet networks, we're still fumbling over whether to shoot this in SD or HD.

Most likely, our sponsors will decide this for us but seeing the beauty of the RED ONE camera in the films shot to date, I can't help but think we should shoot this in HD. Now, that said, here's why I'm posting here... I'm a producer, not a camera operator. Please allow me to post a few topics for discussion:

1. SD or HD? Your thoughts?

2. Tape, HDD or both?

3. Camera choices and reputations?

I'd love to hear from all of you. And for those of you with extensive experience in this field, please let me know what your hourly rate is for consultation and how to contact you.

Thanks in advance for your time because I know how valuable it is.

Daren Afshar
Winery Productions
http://w-p.biz

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SD/HD Broadband Broadcast : Starting from scratch
on Jul 13, 2009 at 8:54:30 pm

Daren,
this is my advice to you. You are in the very home of the greatest video engineers the in the world today. Japan. Home of Sony, Panasonic and JVC. Manufacturers of the best cameras, and wonderful video switchers. You do not need advice from people on this forum. You NEED TO HIRE AN ENGINEER IN JAPAN to design a system for you. Daren, there are more video engineers in Japan than anywhere else in the world. You are asking some very elementary questions. You obvioulsy understand very little about this subject, and for some one to say "buy 3 Panasonic HPX300 cameras, and buy a Panasonic AV-HS400A switcher to cut this show" will mean ABSOLUTELY nothing to you. Are you going to assemble all of these components into a studio configuration, so you can do your internet show - probably not. I urge you to hire a wonderful professional engineer in Japan that can assist you with this project, so that you are successful, and do not wind up dumping a ton of money on random equipment that will never work together properly.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Daren Afshar
on Jul 14, 2009 at 12:08:01 am

Morning Bob and thanks.

One can never have too much information and yes, I have several engineers at my disposal. As I mentioned before, I'm more interested in learning from others' experience, especially people such as you.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Daren Afshar
Winery Productions

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Jul 14, 2009 at 11:15:47 pm

My 2 cents but I think HD is overkill for anything that's going to be streamed on the web. It will have to be compressed down anyway. Bob is completely right though. You are asking the wrong people. Find out what your final deliver specs are and go from there.

If it were me I'd shoot anamorphic on digibeta.

Best,
Joey

Return to posts index

Daren Afshar
on Jul 14, 2009 at 11:35:04 pm

Indeed, Joey. The thought crossed my mind, too. Thanks for sharing.

Daren Afshar
Winery Productions

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:26:38 am

SD or HD? Your thoughts? ... If you can afford HD get it, HD over the internet is just coming alive in the states, not sure about Japan but from what I heard Japan's internet access is broadly faster than ours. If not, SD with be more than adequate. If you are on a tighter budget be careful what cameras you are looking at. Some SD cameras outperform the cheaper HD cameras when uprezed. Our Ikegami HL-60ws outperformed Panasonic's HD studio cameras when uprezzed with a Terranix box.

Tape, HDD or both? ....HDD no doubt about it, we are doing whatever we can to get away from Tape. Telestream's pipeline maybe worth taking a look at. For archive LTO 4 works well. It's tape but stores a lot more footage than traditional video tape and transfers much faster. Sony XDCam series is another option, we have been using for 5 years now and don't have any complaints.

Camera choices and reputations? Ikegami & Sony are the kings in their field, although Ikegami works better with skin tones providing richer reds than Sony.

Return to posts index

Daren Afshar
on Jul 15, 2009 at 5:59:58 am

Very valuable input, Devin. As a producer looking at the technology from a helicopter view, it's always educational to hear from those using the plethora of equipment available to both prosumers and professionals.

Daren Afshar
Winery Productions

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Oct 16, 2009 at 2:23:52 am

Check these products they can give great performance at a real low price specialy for internet.

avtake.com currently using firewire cameras but shortly will be able to use componet,hdmi and composite for sd and hd. it recoreds in avi and streams multigraph video simultaneously using any encoder. I have used it wuth great results.

also check vidblaster.com it has some drawbacks for broadcasting but for internet its fine.

good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]