FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AV-HS450 switcher and computer input

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Pierce
Panasonic AV-HS450 switcher and computer input
on Jun 16, 2009 at 9:06:53 pm

Has anyone used the Panasonic AV-HS450 switcher? If so, how does it handle computer input, say, a powerpoint presentation run from a laptop?

Thanks,
Ed Pierce

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Panasonic AV-HS450 switcher and computer input
on Jun 16, 2009 at 9:51:09 pm

I do not believe that the AV-HS450 is out yet.
I have used the AV-HS400. I can tell you this. The digital output of a MAC works. HOWEVER, the analog VGA output of a PC laptop DOES NOT WORK. I know that it says that it works in the PAnasonic literature. I spoke with Panasonic tech support. They sent me a firmware update, which I had to install on a SD flash card, and then install in the AV-HS400. It STILL did not work. I took the output of this PC laptop (VGA) and put it into a 42" Pioneer Plasma display, and it worked instantly. But it did not work on the Panasonic switcher. HOWEVER, the DVI output (digital output) of the MAC Book Pro computer worked instantly. And yes, I know where the setup menus are in the Panasonic switcher to switch between the two types of inputs.

So, DVI works great, VGA does not. Even with the assistance of Panasonic tech support.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Cliff gawel
on Sep 13, 2009 at 2:27:38 am

Bob
Is it possible your DVI to VGA adapter, or conversion cable is not passing the VGA analog signals?

Return to posts index

Dustin Stokes
on Feb 13, 2010 at 9:57:25 pm

I have an HS-400, of which I am sitting in front of it right now, watching a speaker give a presentation on it, using an analog VGA input from a PC, using a VGA to DVI adapter.

At first, PC's resolution was 800x600, which wouldn't work. Switched PC to 1024x768, works beautifully.

Return to posts index

Igor Drozdov
on Jan 30, 2011 at 9:36:53 pm

Hey Guys,
Hope you can help me here.
In a nutshell, what I'm trying to do is to hook up a Mac Pro to AV-HS400 switcher, mainly to use as a Live graphics machine for keyed lower thirds, logos etc. I will be using DVI output.

The bit where I've got lost - graphics software, output and keying methods. Let's say I'm planning to use Boinx TV software outputting to a secondary monitor(switcher) through DVI connection. In this case, what keying method would you guys use on AV-HS400a switcher? I assume the easiest solution would be to output graphics with a green screen and then Chroma Key it using hs400? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Also, does anyone know either HS400a supports alpha channel for Live video or not? If yes, what's the workaround? If not, what would be your advice on keying graphics from Motion, AE of FCP?

Cheers
Igor

Return to posts index

Frank Bella
on Jan 31, 2011 at 7:22:07 am

We use laptops running various software to create lower third keys for live events using a Panasonic HS-450 - which is the big brother to the HS-400 - same features. You can create the graphics over black backgrounds and use the luma key function - either as a title key or a DSK on these switchers. The limitation is of course that there can be no black in your graphic or it will key through. The next best option - or your only option if you can't use luma key - is the chroma key as a title key. This works well in the HS-450 and I am sure the same is true for the HS-400. Again, nothing in your graphics can be anywhere close to the color you are keying out. We once tried to chroma key a graphic that had some objects that were a very off shade of green, and they were partially keyed out (transparent). We've successfully used PowerPoint to create title keys in HD resolution - it's no Chyron, but it's not bad. The important thing there is to keep the computer generating the graphics in as high a resolution as possible. The new breed of laptops that output 1080p over HDMI can be plugged directly into the Panasonic switchers using an HDMI to DVI cable and the new Hi-res DVI input boards for the switchers. No scalers or scan concerters needed - the images are great! Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Igor Drozdov
on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:37:05 pm

Thanks for your reply, got it to work on DSK and Chroma. Must say I prefer Chroma.
Cheers

Return to posts index

Frank Bella
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:24:45 am

We've had the HS-450 for several months - and it is a great multi-putpose HD switcher with a ton of features and flexibility. The stock HS-450 simply comes with 16 SDI inputs that handle SD/HD signals at various video resolutions. They offer two different optional DVI input cards that each add two computer resolution inputs, a less expensive one that handles low to mid resolutions, and a Hi-Res card that accepts resolutions up though 1080p. We installed the later and have connected all types of computers with DVI and HDMI outputs directly to the switcher with no additional scan converter or scalers. It works flawlessley and the image quality is great. PPT presentations formatted for 16:9 and output at 1920x1080 screen resolution mix beautifully with HD video at the same resolution - bring on those small fonts - no problem! It also offers 4 AUX sub switchers, each routable to a dedicated output. Combined with the right projectors, you can use the HS-450 alone to switch video and computers, with different mixes for projection, video record, IMAG, webcast, and muliple multi-view displays. It truely is an amazing box.

Return to posts index

Jeff Nene
on May 7, 2010 at 8:00:01 pm

I have 2 questions on this switcher.

1. Can you switch multiple Aux outs simultaneously? In other word if I want to switch from PGM to a video roll on Aux 1 and graphics to the same video roll on Aux 3 at the same time, can I do that?

2. Does the downstream keyer have a crop or preset pattern function to it? I want to crop a full screen graphic and use it as a lower third.

Thanks!
Jeff

Return to posts index

Frank Bella
on May 7, 2010 at 8:52:40 pm

In answer to question #1 - no - not exactly at the same time - as you'd have to hit the "Aux 1" button and then select the source to route to Aux1, and then hit "Aux 3" and select that source - so it would be as fast as your fingers :-)

In answer to #2 - yes, you can crop the DSK - but we ususally just make it a luma key, or chroma key as needed - works great for lower thirds coming off of a laptop - given that the laptop is putting out same resolution (ie:1920x1080). Not scaling the gfx up or down helps keep the key clean.

Return to posts index

Jeff Nene
on Feb 8, 2011 at 2:01:33 pm

Thanks Frank. That is what I thought but wanted to ask someone else just to be sure.

I love the switcher as well. We use both the 450 and 400 depending on the application and have had stellar results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]