FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live edit plus raw footage

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zhang
Live edit plus raw footage
on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:55:16 pm

This set up may seem counter-intuitive but this is what we’re trying to do, so here goes. In the past we have done 3-camera shoots and edited in the multi-cam window of FCP. (Audio was always added later as a voice over.)
Now we want to go to a live-edit scenario with a switcher but we ALSO want to capture the uncut footage from each camera (for further editing later in FCP). The cameras are Canon XL2s (SD). We also need live audio coming in from Sennheiser wireless lavs through a mixer both to the switcher and to an audio recorder (probably a Sound Devices 722).
We are thinking of getting a Datavideo setup like the HS800DV, MS900, or MS1000. All have FireWire (400) in and out.

Here are my issues/ concerns/ questions:

1. I’m thinking to use the FireWire outs from the XL2’s rather than S-Video or Composite. Is this the right idea for best quality? (Cable runs will not be more than 30’).

2. If I go with FW out, I need to get it both to the switcher and to a hard drive (for the uncut footage). Datavideo’s DN300/ DN500 hard drives have FW In and FW Out with loop-thru. My idea is to get one for each camera and go from the camera into the hard drive and then out to the switcher. Does this sound like it will work? I assume there will be some latency issues?

3. The Datavideo switchers have built in frame sync, TBC, and audio delay so I think I’m covered for having the cameras synched and getting the audio synched up with them for smooth switching in the live edit. BUT…. What about the possibility of having some kind of time code attached to all of this so the uncut footage on the hard drives can be matched up later with each other, with the live edit, and with the audio? I'm assuming I need to add a black burst generator to this set up? What other pieces do I need to make this work? How do I route it?

Thanks for any help, especially when it comes to synching. And I’m not absolutely attached to the Datavideo stuff yet, so let me know if something else might be better. (within 15-20k for the whole thing).

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Live edit plus raw footage
on Jun 16, 2009 at 12:48:53 pm

[Bob Zhang] "1. I’m thinking to use the FireWire outs from the XL2’s rather than S-Video or Composite. Is this the right idea for best quality? (Cable runs will not be more than 30’).

2. If I go with FW out, I need to get it both to the switcher and to a hard drive (for the uncut footage). Datavideo’s DN300/ DN500 hard drives have FW In and FW Out with loop-thru. My idea is to get one for each camera and go from the camera into the hard drive and then out to the switcher. Does this sound like it will work? I assume there will be some latency issues?

3A. The Datavideo switchers have built in frame sync, TBC, and audio delay so I think I’m covered for having the cameras synched and getting the audio synched up with them for smooth switching in the live edit. BUT….
3B. What about the possibility of having some kind of time code attached to all of this so the uncut footage on the hard drives can be matched up later with each other, with the live edit, and with the audio?
3C. I'm assuming I need to add a black burst generator to this set up?
3D. What other pieces do I need to make this work? How do I route it?
"

1. Yup. We have used up to well over 100 foot FW runs from the cameras to a Datavideo switcher.
2. I don't think you'd introduce any appreciable additional latency by looping thru the HDs.
(If you attempt this, let us know.)
3A. Yes.
3B. You may have to give up on that idea.
3C. Not necessary, unless you are syncing to a live broadcast.
3D. You didn't say on what you were recording the output of the Datavideo (I'm assuming DV tape.)
Obviously, the director will have to have headset communication with all members of the crew.
A full set of video monitors so the director can call the shots of the cameras, set up any special effects in preview and view the line output.

I also suggest that you route the mixed audio over to the audio INPUT on one of the CAMERAS.
That will be a quick way to make sure that the audio comes into the Datavideo
in sync with the FW video timing, latency and all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]