FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live video, wireless transmit from location to a web site?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Hoffmann
Live video, wireless transmit from location to a web site?
on Jun 8, 2009 at 10:09:47 pm

I'm looking for the best way to broadcast a live video (in real time) in our web site? Suggestions? Difficult to have a broadcast van on location.

Any ideas?
Cost?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Live video, wireless transmit from location to a web site?
on Jun 9, 2009 at 4:11:27 pm

Define the problem with more specific information. Where is the shooting location, how far is it to the base where you want to webcast from? What's the timeline, what's the budget, what's the expectation as to quality? How many camera views is this, just one single camera or a multicam live switched feed?

These days, usually the easier and cheaper thing to do is bring the web site to the location, i.e. can you take a laptop out there (wherever *there* is, and webcast to a mirror site?

The local vocational school here tried a poor man's microwave truck thing last year, covering the state fair parade, using slingbox. They ran 2 cameras with short cables to a cheap switcher on someone's front lawn, using AC power from the house. They ran video from the switcher to a PC in that house where they encoded and sent the feed via slingbox over to the cable company head-end across town. It was a limited success; after missing half the parade due to connection problems, they got a decent-enough live picture running on local cable access, but they never got the sound to work. But I give them high marks for trying it, since NONE of the local Tv stations considered covering it to be their public duty to show it (couldn't sell ads for it).

Return to posts index

Shane Hoffmann
on Jun 10, 2009 at 11:26:25 am

Thanks.
I've done some more asking around,and heard about a solution of a device connected to the camera, that transits the video real time to the base over a cellular network infrastructure.
Anyone heard or tried this?

Return to posts index

hamish boyd
on Jun 17, 2009 at 4:15:32 am

This is the website you need to go to.

http://www.livestream.com/

we've used this service to stream live sport events.

You can get a free account or pay for a pro account which we did. Really is a fantastic option.
Don't have time to run down on all the details but have a look around on the site.
Its like a switching desk for live streaming. And has some really neat features, like live tickerstraps you can edit etc, switching between multiple feeds, an online storage so you can have a play list playing while your not live.

We just connected firewire from the OB truck into livestream, and away you go. too easy.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:53:29 pm

Check avtake cutfour app it doe web and broadcast video (720x480 avi) at the sametime. (avtake.com)
You can use any free encoder on the same computer.

I do live streaming sports and soon broadcast content. Very reliable. about $600.00

There is also vidblaster.com if you only need web (It does not do 720-480) and it does have a lot of good features but its almost double the cost of "cutfour"

Good Luck

R Cardonna

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]