FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDCAM Closed Caption Insert?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ken wanninger
HDCAM Closed Caption Insert?
on Jun 6, 2009 at 1:48:04 pm

Hello,

I have a problem. I am online editing a TV series, and have delivered the first 4 episodes to the network. We have discovered an error in the spelling of a name in our opening title sequence. I need to send an insert reel to the network to fix the shot (3 seconds long). We delivered closed captioned HDCAM SR masters.

My question is this.. The insert needs to be made before dialogue begins, the shot is just over music, no lyrics. Thus, if the picture insert is made, will it change/destroy the closed captioning for the entire tape? I'm not worried if the insert effects the closed caption data where the shot lies, as there is no closed captioning there, it begins after the title sequence is finished.

in summary, does a picture insert edit effect just that spot, or will it screw up the whole tape/program? I would greatly appreciate any insight here.

Thank you!
Ken W

Return to posts index

Keith Troester
Re: HDCAM Closed Caption Insert?
on Jun 8, 2009 at 5:05:51 pm

The packets of CC are sent prior to their appearance on the screen (about 1-2 seconds), and doing an insert edit as you say (with CC locked to timecode) could very well corrupt CC, and disturb the timing of it. I would recommend an entire output, and to double check all the timing and accuracy prior to laying to tape. Otherwise, you could very well end up with garbled CC.

-Keith

http://www.keithtroester.com
PHOTOS | VIDEOS | SOUND | ETC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]