FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dialnorm -24, -27, or -31?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Po
Dialnorm -24, -27, or -31?
on May 13, 2009 at 3:02:30 pm

So I am working on audio to submit to PBS. I had one person tell me -31 for dial norm, and another tell me -24. Both people where qualified employees from PBS. After reading the PBS TOS (specifications sheet) I have found seemingly contradictory parts stating dial norm to be -24 and -31. Is it just me or does -31 seem really low? What do you guys think it is or should be? I'm sure I will be waiting from them for the final answer but I wondered if you guys had any incite.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Dialnorm -24, -27, or -31?
on May 17, 2009 at 4:35:50 pm

everyone turns to these forums for the easy way out. "I have to deliver for broadcast - what should I do". WE DONT MAKE THE DECISIONS. I had people tell me years ago that PBS demanded D5 delivery, years after they accepted AVID onlines. -23dB full scale or -24dB full scale is the norm, but WHO CARES what you or I think. YOU MUST MAKE THE CALL to the station, and ASK THEM, and if you can't get the right answer in the first 30 seconds, you CALL AND CALL AND CALL and waste your entire day, until you get the correct delivery spec, and the person's name at PBS that told you that they want a -31dBFS delivery. Becuase if you follow my advice, and it's wrong, you are screwed.

There is no easy answer. Going thru this bull@#$% is what makes the difference between a hobbist, and a profesisonal. If you don't suffer, you are not a professional.

Now, pick up that phone.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]