FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPROHD Record times

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Edelman
DVCPROHD Record times
on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:55:56 am

Hello all,
I'm using a panasonic AJ-HD1400 deck and I have a simple question: Why do my tapes only last half the time they are labeled? I'm dubbing from an HDV deck to the DVCPro via HDSDI. The tapes I have are 66 min but they only last 33. I've also been told that cameras used on set act the same way. The deck is set to 1080i/59.
I've been told by all my co-workers to use double length tapes, so I do. I'm just curious as to why?
Enlighten me, please.
-Daniel

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
Re: DVCPROHD Record times
on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:15:22 pm

Hey Daniel,
The length of time that is listed on the box is for recordign DVCPro 50. DVCPro HD is DVC Pro 100 so you have to divide the amount by 2. If you were recording on DVCPro 25, you could actually multiply the number by 2 and get 132 minutes. They used to make tapes specifically for DVCPro HD but they discontinued them so now you just have to know that if you are recording in DVCPro HD to cut the time in half.

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

Daniel Edelman
on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:59:44 pm

I knew it was something simple. I spent a 1/2 hour sifting through the menu options thinking something was wrong.
Thanks for the help, Scot,
-Daniel

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 29, 2009 at 4:38:10 pm

Tape is rolling twice as fast to get the 100 data rate.

Maybe you're too young to remember VHS tapes are labeled as t-120 for 120 minutes but in SLP super long play record speed they are six hours.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 30, 2009 at 10:22:36 am

In Japan they still have the red tid HD DVCpro tapes... (but the yellow lid is exactly the same tape) these have 33mins on them.

Return to posts index

kevin deyo
on Apr 30, 2009 at 12:55:02 pm

Daniel:

The dvc pro tapes were originally set up for use with dvc pro 25 cameras and the lengths were labeled correctly. When you put a dvc 66 in my HDX 900 it becomes a 33 minute tape. HD gear spins the tape faster, more information in HD needs more room on the tape, to put it simply

Kevin

http://www.kevindeyo.com/

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 1, 2009 at 1:45:31 am

Mark,

It's funny you mention the VHS thing because DVCPro HD has SP and LP modes as well. AFAIK DVCPro tape durations are labeled for DV25. So a 124min tape will get you 2hrs of DV25, 1hr of DV50 and 0.5hrs of DVCPro HD in SP mode (or 1hr of DVCPro HD in LP mode).

-A

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Daniel Edelman
on May 1, 2009 at 4:04:17 am

I could be wrong but I thought I had tried it in LP mode and still didn't get the hour I needed.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 1, 2009 at 6:10:51 am

A 124min tape should get your 1hr of DVCPro HD in LP mode. A 66min tape will only get you 33min of DVCPro HD in LP mode.

-A

Return to posts index

Daniel Edelman
on May 1, 2009 at 1:40:10 pm

This has probably been explained 8 or 9 times on this forum, but what would the drawbacks to using LP mode be? I've heard people say that it's less stable that SP mode.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 1, 2009 at 4:49:24 pm

I believe LP mode is less robust (more prone to have dropouts or other kinds of errors) than SP mode but don't take my word on it as I haven't studied the differences between the two modes in depth.

-A

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]