FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Video for Broadcast, (first time help/suggestion)

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Brodner
Exporting Video for Broadcast, (first time help/suggestion)
on Apr 22, 2009 at 3:12:55 pm

I just finished editing a 30 second commercial that was shot on a Sony FX1 in HDV. I used a SureTarget plugin from VideoCopilot for some motion graphics with text in AE and wondered what the best way to export this thing would be.

I spoke with the person I need to deliver this to and she said that a quicktime file on a flash drive OR emailing it through "SendSpace.com" is fine.

I like to think I'm pretty savvy when it comes to compression, (for the web anyways), and normally I would export as a self contained file and then compress to 1280x720 with a bitrate of around 4-6000 with the photojpeg codec or h.264 codec but I've never done anything for broadcast before. Should I compress it this way??? I've read several things, one being to export as an uncompressed 10-bit file for absolute maximum quality. ???? No clue what this means or what kind of file size this is going to generate for me, or how long it'll take to do.

Do any of you have any thoughts? (PS - this is a local commercial, nothing that'll be seen nationally, and I've noticed all the local commercials...around Rochester anyways....are kind of corny and video quality isn't all that spectacular. Just wanted some pro input)

Return to posts index

Ron Gerber
Re: Exporting Video for Broadcast, (first time help/suggestion)
on Apr 22, 2009 at 5:12:47 pm

Check with the local station or cable company. They should have a spec sheet that will give you more info. Send them a file to test everything out. Most likely they are not inserting your commercial in HD so they will probably want it to be 720 x 480. Using the h.264 codec would be a good place to start. A :30 spot should be about 43mb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]