FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prepare My Video to be Broadcasted.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Johnston
Prepare My Video to be Broadcasted.
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:36:46 pm

Hello Everyone. I really hope you can help me out here, I'm on a bit of a time crunch.

I am making a commercial that will be broadcasted on Satellite Television. I need to know, basically, what I need to do prepare my commercial to be broadcasted. Or at least where to begin.

Also, I know that some parts of my question will be dependent on some specific information from the broadcast station. If that is the case I need to know what information I need to acquire from them and then once I have it then what do i do with it?

1) How do I make my Video's colors Broadcast safe? I'm using Final Cut Pro.

2) I am shooting on a Panasonic HVX. If the station can accept HD footage, Am i fine? And if they can't what do I need to do to make my footage acceptable?

On top of those two questions I basically just need general guidance. I am experienced with video and editing and all that but broadcast is something I never tackled.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Prepare My Video to be Broadcasted.
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:44:46 pm

[Andrew Johnston] "...I am making a commercial that will be broadcasted on Satellite Television.... I know that some parts of my question will be dependent on some specific information from the broadcast station..."

Okay, so where IS this spot going to air: a TV station or some place like the Discovery Channel?

[Andrew Johnston] "1) How do I make my Video's colors Broadcast safe? I'm using Final Cut Pro."

Don't have hardware scopes? You open BOTH the Vectorscope and Waveform monitors in FCP, you LEAVE them open, and you watch 'em like a hawk!
[Andrew Johnston] "2) I am shooting on a Panasonic HVX. If the station can accept HD footage, Am i fine? And if they can't what do I need to do to make my footage acceptable?"

If it really is a TV station, YOU NEED TO CONTACT THE STATION. They won't think you're dumb, they'll think you're trying to get things right the first time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnston
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:59:58 pm

Thank you so much for your response Dave I really appreciate your Help.

[Dave LaRonde]Okay, so where IS this spot going to air: a TV station or some place like the Discovery Channel?

A TV STATION. The discovery channel is much bigger than this place. This station is on satellite but I would compare them more to a Local station. Like Public Access.

[Dave LaRonde]Don't have hardware scopes? You open BOTH the Vectorscope and Waveform monitors in FCP, you LEAVE them open, and you watch 'em like a hawk!

Thanks Dave. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what "hardware scopes" is. Maybe I have it and just don't know I have it? Anyway, I will look into what "vectorscope" is and "Waveform Monitor' (i think i know what you mean by this one though)- But when you say "watch them like a hawk" what Am i watching for?

Thanks so much for you time Dave. You're really helping me out.

Here is some information I just found out about the station. I don't know if it helps but here it is:

Frequency: 12115
Polarity: vertical
Symbol Rate: 22425
FEC: 3/4

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 14, 2009 at 3:44:18 pm

Rahter than reinvent the wheel in this forum, I suggest googling the following phrase: "HOW TO READ A VECTORSCOPE". It will yield not only a handy PDF, but information on waveform monitors.

At least it'll get you started.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tom Mathews
on Apr 14, 2009 at 9:07:18 pm

I'm not sure if this thread is serious or not. Assuming it is serious, and not some left field humour I'm not getting, please follow this advice.

Hire an online editor to prepare your spot/film/show for broadcast, as you obviously do not have the knowledge or experience to do this yourself. There is no point in you looking at scopes that will mean nothing to you.

Please.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 14, 2009 at 10:10:54 pm

[Tom Mathews] "...I'm not sure if this thread is serious..."

Actually, yes... and the original poster is about to get a harsh lesson.

The original post reminded me of those movies of the forties with Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney, thinking up a way to raise money so kindly Mr. Toothwhistle can keep his soda parlor:

"Hey, kids, I know, let's put on a show!"
"Yeah! We can use my uncle's barn as a theater!"
"Stinky's really good with his hands -- he can make the scenery!"
"I'm sure all the kids in band class would be in the orchestra!"
"My Aunt Myrtle loves to sew -- she can make the costumes!"
"My cousin Filbert knows all about electricity -- he can do the lights!"
"Mrs. Parsons can really play the piano well... I'm just sure she'd write the music!"
"And Betty and I can write the script. Oh, it'll be swell!"

The result: a blockbuster film musical revue worthy of MGM... because it was actually done by MGM writers, musicians, costumers, perfomers and technicians.

Now, let's fast forward to today:

"Hey, kids, let's make a TV Commercial! We can make it all ourselves!"
"I have an HVX 200 -- that's a real TV camera!"
"My cousin Filbert can make all the graphics right on his computer!"
"Betty here's really pretty -- she can be in it!"
"I have Final Cut Pro -- we can edit and everything!"
"Does anybody know what TV stations need when they get commercials?"
"Heck, we can figure that out later. Oh, it'll be swell!"

But since there are no MGM writers, musicians, costumers, perfomers and especially technicians in this instance, there could be a different outcome.

Perhaps all I did was give our boy another length of rope. It's just a matter of time for our hero......

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnston
on Apr 15, 2009 at 1:32:30 am

There really isn't any need to be condescending. I was asking a question I do not know the answer to. What is so crazy about this thread that you find it hard to believe is serious?

This is a forum right? Where you can go to for help?

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Apr 15, 2009 at 1:41:03 am

Andrew - people have told you what you need to do. Learn how to use scopes to verify your signal quality, contact the TV station, find a good online editor to handle the release reel - all these are good, solid, worthwhile suggestions.

Tom's comment that you are in over your head may seem harsh, but it is the truth. You don't have the experience to get from here to there, and you won't get it until you realize you need it. Find someone who knows how to get you what you want and pay them what they're worth. Ask questions, but let them do their work.

Your alternatives really are learn, hire, or fail. Television is a pretty unforgiving business. May not be pleasant, but that's the reality of it. How you feel about that reality is a concern only to you, not to the TV business.

Return to posts index

Tom Mathews
on Apr 15, 2009 at 8:11:52 pm

Andrew,

If you found my post condescending, apologies, it wasn't meant to be. If you found my post harsh, however, it was meant to be.

As I said, what you need to to is hire someone who knows how to finish for broadcast. I applaud your willingness to learn, and will be more than happy to answer any questions and help you along the way, but this isn't something you pick up by having a couple of questions answered in a forum. It takes years.

Kind regards,

Tom

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnston
on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:30:02 pm

Sorry if I was a little quick to take offense, honestly I think it was mostly Dave's long winded analogy that struck a cord.

So here is the thing...

The station is NOT super professional in any way. Think Public Access. And I'm not going to hire a professional right now, this project isn't worth it, maybe in the future but not now.

What do you suggest? What's the best thing I can do? Even if it might not work whats the best thing I can do to prepare the video without hiring a professional?

FCP has a "broadcast safe" filter that supposedly you slap it on and it makes it broadcast safe. Though I could imagine that this filter does a mediocre job at best will it at least cover my butt and get my video to look half decent over the air?

Return to posts index

Tom Mathews
on Apr 16, 2009 at 8:07:55 pm

Right Andrew, here goes.

By the way I'm a UK editor so there might be a few discrepancies along the way.

09:58:00:00 - 09:59:30:00
Either 75% or 100& colour bars (usually 75%, but check with station) and -18db tone (we use -18db in the UK, but again check with station).

09:59:30:00 - 09:59:57:00
Clock (this needs to include all programme information required by the station)

09:59:57:00 - 10:00:00:00
Black/Silence

10:00:00:00
Programme

That's the lineup sorted. In terms of keeping your programme legal (to stop it blowing out a satellite) you need to look at both the sound and vision. Audio shouldn't peak over 5 on your calibrated PPM's. In terms of video and the Broadcast Safe filter you should look at this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/970685

As advised earlier you need to do a search online about understanding the waveform monitor/vectorscope. This is really important, because if you don't understand it then you will not recognise when it's telling you that your levels are illegal.

Lastly, please don't make the mistake of thinking that because the station you are delivering to is small, it doesn't matter if your deliverables are out of wack. That is not the case and is a poor work ethic.

Good luck, you have a lot of reading ahead.

Tom

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:44:51 pm

You'll fly by your external scopes for levels and lay off according to the networks' specs. It's usually a minute of bars and tone, 8 seconds of slate, 2 seconds of black with the show starting at 1 hour even drop frame.
But again, you'll want their guidlines before mastering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]