FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital File Transfer Procedure

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Arnold
Digital File Transfer Procedure
on Apr 8, 2009 at 5:45:46 pm

I am with a small TV station and we have just got our digital file transfer up and running so we can send files from FCP to Master Control.

Does anyone have any experience with this that can lend a hand as we are trying to create a procedure for how this will work. We need to have some kind of paper trail so we can submit it for scheduling, the sales staff knows that it is submitted, and Master Control knows that we have sent it over.

Also we need to create some kind of backup system so that if the file gets lost or Master Control deletes it after awhile it will be easily retrievable when the editor isn't there.

Any advice that you have on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Mac G5 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 3GHz
Final Cut Studio 1
MacOSX10.4

Return to posts index

Ron Gerber
Re: Digital File Transfer Procedure
on Apr 9, 2009 at 3:41:16 pm

I'd try to follow your tape procedure as closely as possible. If you have a server everyone can access (traffic, production, & master control) create a couple of folders - one for traffic, one for spots to be encoded, and one for spots that have been encoded. Once you finish the spot on FCP - drop it into the traffic folder, send them an e-mail (along with the AE) to let them know it's there or how ever you would normally let everyone know a tape is ready.

Let the traffic people do their thing - and then they move it over to the "to be encoded" folder. Master control does their thing then moves it over to the "have been encoded" folder.

Depending on how many spots you are doing, back up the "have been encoded" folder up at the end of the week or as needed.

Also, have production keep a backup of the spot (before it goes to traffic) just in case Master Control has a problem or somewhere in the process the file gets misnamed or lost.

I hope all that makes sense.
Good Luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]