FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wohler Amp2-VSA Audio Drop Outs

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trey Cook
Wohler Amp2-VSA Audio Drop Outs
on Apr 1, 2009 at 7:36:24 pm

Hello,

I have a question concerning our house Wohler audio monitor (Model # Amp2-VSA). It is rack mounted and hooked up through an Ocelot Routing System. Whenever previewing audio from one of our DVCPro decks or BETA decks, the audio will consistently drop out for about 2 seconds. The frequency of this drop out is seemingly consistent, but sometimes it is not. We do have the Wohler panel monitoring via 1 SDI (BNC) cable. That SDI signal is being converted multiple times through AJA boxes. I'm not a full blown broadcast engineer yet, but I'm going to school to be one. I can't figure out this problem, and the way everything is hooked up in the racks is quite confusing. None of the patch fields are labeled, and there are multiple conversions from digital to analog and back to digital along the pipeline. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the problem or not. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,

Trey Cook

Video Editor/3D Artist/Aspiring Broadcast Engineer

Chattanooga, TN

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Wohler Amp2-VSA Audio Drop Outs
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:19:30 pm

you write -

That SDI signal is being converted multiple times through AJA boxes.

REPLY - what on earth does this mean ?

I'm not a full blown broadcast engineer yet, but I'm going to school to be one.

REPLY - well I am a full blown broadcast video engineer, and no one is going to be able to help you on this forum - do you know why - because of your following statement -

I can't figure out this problem, and the way everything is hooked up in the racks is quite confusing. None of the patch fields are labeled, and there are multiple conversions from digital to analog and back to digital along the pipeline.

REPLY - this is why - because NOTHING IS LABELED. I can't suggest anything, because I can't have you cross patch around the possible problem. Who installed this, -where are the patch bay labels. If I was there I would SLAP THE ENGINEER IN THE FACE - no one should do this kind of work - no docuemntation or no labels - EVEN IF YOU DIDNT GET PAID. He should be ashamed of himself. Without an engineer coming to your facility, you are screwed.

start simple - take a SDI feed from a Digi Beta VTR, and feed it into the Wohler - do you get drop outs in the audio ?

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Trey Cook
on Apr 2, 2009 at 6:43:46 pm

Bob,

I appreciate your response. Haha, I agree about not labeling the patch bay, but the egineer that set it up has since been let go. Now we have a couple of unlabled racks, and no clue as to what is what. Anyway, Here's some additional info on the problem. I fed the SDI out from my DVCPro deck into the Wohler panel: No drop outs. Likewise, when the decks play back, I don't have the drop out problem. However, the only time the drop outs do occur is when we are shooting from the studio. We have an SDI signal coming out of the switcher which goes to the racks > router > Decks > Edit Bays. Like I said, I don't understand the setup fully. I don't know how to diagnose the problem. I can try my best to trace the SDI cable from Master Control coming out of our switcher going to the rack setup. I'll let you know what I find out. Again, I appreciate your help greatly. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Trey Cook
on Apr 3, 2009 at 6:23:10 pm

Bob, I can't trace the SDI cable b/c it runs through the roof, and then under the floor to the racks. It is unlabeled as well. However, I do have some interesting info about the problem. The audio drops happen when coming live out of the switcher, but ALSO when going to tape from the edit bays. However, the drops do not occur when playing a tape from the deck. Seemingly they happen only when the deck(s) is/are recording. Maybe this sheds some light on it...I don't know. Any other suggestions on what might be the problem?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 4, 2009 at 8:45:04 pm

Trey -
no offense, but your questions are rediculous. If I was there, I could not figure this out, and I am an expert. Your system is a disaster, and future disasters will happen. Nothing is labeled - no cables, no patch bays, and there is no documentation. Someone has to come in there, take everything apart, and redo the installation. I suggest that you have docuemntation before you even get started, as a road map. You are screwed Trey. This is not a magic trick, where someone can say "poof - it's working". You have a serious mess at your facility, and you just don't "guess" as to how to fix it. If your boss doesn't want to spend the money to get this place up and working (with labels and docuementation), then it will always be prone to disasters like you have right now.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Trey Cook
on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:03:45 pm

Yeah I understand. We have an engineer who has graciously volunteered his time to come in and write up some schematics on our complete system. I'm sure this will help. Thanks for your responses. I may post again if I continue to have trouble after the schematics come in.

Thanks again,
Trey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]