FORUMS: list search recent posts

Type of HD SDI cable for mobile productions

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Corbin
Type of HD SDI cable for mobile productions
on Apr 1, 2009 at 6:29:28 pm

I have been going through a lot of posts on this site but most are for installations of HD SDI cable. We are a mobile production house and do a lot of media for conferences in different buildings, etc. I wanted to know what is the best HD SDI cables for mobile stuff since we are setting up and tearing down all the equipment all the time. We have been SD stuff up until now we are moving all HD. We are getting a Panasonic HV-HS400A and we have JVC 250U camera's. We want to do HD SDI everything and in some of our places we go we need to do long runs of 200' to 300'. So what is the best cable for this that is also not a pain to lug around. Thanks for any and all help on this.

-Brian

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Type of HD SDI cable for mobile productions
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:14:40 pm

Belden 1505A.
Inside your truck - Belden 1855A

Equivalent for Belden 1505A -
Gepco VPM-2000
Canare L-4CFB

300' is the MAXIMUM amount run you can do. If you want to go over
300', consider the much thicker Belden 1694A. Want to do 400'. You will need to RECLOCK your video with a reclocking HD-SDI DA. Alternates to that ? Fibre.

The AV-HS400A is my favorite new switcher. Great product.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Brian Corbin
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:45:54 pm

Thanks for this input. This helps a lot. Do you know if the Belden 1505A is pliable in that its not stiff like some cables can be? Especially since we have a roaming camera and it's a pain for them if the cable is really stiff and heavy to lug around.

-Brian

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Apr 2, 2009 at 2:54:39 am

In addition to Bob's insightful post (I’m glad you approve of the 400A Bob as I am taking delivery of one any day now), I wanted to add a couple of things. I am using the Belden ENG. A/V cable, made up on reels of slightly less than 300' so that the total length from my JVC 250 to my 400 switcher is fewer than 300' after the patch panel and rack cabling.

Here's my suggestion, since you have the exact same equipment as me, and I would be interested to see if Bob has any issues with my setup?

I am using the Belden A/V cable, not sure who else sells it, but I got mine from Joseph Electronics. It has 2 1505 coax and four XLR’s. This is perfect as you can also send sync or time code to the camera if needed. The 4 XLR’s give you your intercom, as well as milking your on-board microphone etc…

AND…I have been working on an awesome upgrade for controlling the 250 by remote… I purchased the RM-LP55 controllers along with 300’ security camera (6 pin din) cables. You do however need to modify the remotes to run off of a 9 volt battery (I can tell you more if you are interested) But once you do you can control your IRIS, master black, white balance, etc… Without spending $10k a camera to purchase a studio interface, 26 pin cables, and a CCU.

My next project is to find a way to tap into the 10 pin “studio plug” on the 250 so I can send the tally’s from the 400a switcher to the tally lights built in to each camera.

Chuck

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Apr 2, 2009 at 5:59:57 pm

hi there

we use BELDEN 1694A and 1694F the F is for flexible.
the inner conductor of the F type is twisted which make's it a bit harder to fix the connector. we also do touring / rental and staging. this enviroment is often not so good for your cable's.
the 1694A whithstand this a bit better. as these are the only cable's we use i cannot give comment on other cable's
if you have decent people working with your cable's use 1694F
if you have drunk stagehand's pulling your cable use 1694A ;-)
i guess you should not bother the diameter of the cable.

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Brian Corbin
on Apr 2, 2009 at 6:48:19 pm

My only question on this would be how much bigger is the 1694 compared to the 1505? The other thing I'm wondering is if the makeup of the 1694F or 1505F are different and the HD-SDI signal can't go as far as with 1694A or 1505A.

-Brian

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Apr 2, 2009 at 8:36:37 pm

well

the 1694 is only 1mm thicker
well watch these numbers
these are the losses which you should use for HDvideo
the losses are per 100mtr my rule of thumb is that the loss must not exceed 20dB if you realy need long run's go for 1694A

1694A 16.4dB
1694F 23dB
1505A 21.3dB
1505F 29.2dB

hope this helps

greet maurice

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Apr 2, 2009 at 10:33:57 pm

Here's a helpful guide from Belden on cable specs and maximum recommended lengths.

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/Techbull/TB65.pdf

Chuck

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 3, 2009 at 12:28:18 pm

This is correct info. Belden 1694 goes to about 360' before the signal falls apart, 1505 goes about 300' (so you get 60' more). The F style has a braided instead of a solid core center conductor, so it is more flexible.

I cannot imagine a camera "utility" or stage hand wrangling 300' of cable from a truck. This seems rediculous, and a nightmare (of knots) waiting to happen. Cables longer than 100' are impossible to manage. You should build a stage box from the control room or truck of 200'. And from there, run a 100' legnth of 1505 or 1694 (or the other equivalent).

With that said, Canare makes the most flexible video cable (softest). I never use any Canare but L4-CFB, but this is the same as 1505A, and it is not flexible for stage use. The "F" series is more flexible, but not as much as the Canare cable. Sorry, I don't know the model #'s for this.

If you were to see Belden 1694 compared next to Belden 1505, you would instantly say "wow, that seems a lot thicker". It's a pain to work with, and much stiffer, which is why I use Belden 1505A.

You know, Markertek sells premade legnths of these cables. You could buy a short run of each, before you "blow your wad", and spend a lot of money, and then regret it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

kevin jervis
on Jun 13, 2009 at 4:17:56 pm

i would love to how you extended the RM LP55 to work over 300'. I need to get one to work at 30m (90') and the problems we hand with sony lanc has put me off just lengthing the cable

Return to posts index

Stephen Rutledge
on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:00:08 pm

I am considering the same thing with the JVC remote, could you let me know how you did it, from the cable you used, to the Battery mod

Thanks for the info
Steve Rutledge

Return to posts index

Stephen Rutledge
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:31:00 am

Hey Chuck;

I would be interested in how you moded the JVC remote

Thanks
Steve Rutledge

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:40:53 am

Hey Stephen, long story short, I bought some RM-55's used from E-bay that were modified by TV Pro gear with a 9 volt battery and a resistor, since the 9 volts that would normally power it from the camera can't travel long distances. I am, as I speak rigging 3 of them together using a 9 volt power supply from Radio Shack so as not to burn through tons of 9 volt batteries. As for the cable, I was able to track down 200 foot lengths of (it's been a while I think it's just 6 pin PS/2 cable) that is also used for certain types of security cameras. I had also added 6 pin XLR's on each end since I didn't think the PS2 plugs would last long in a production environment. If anyone has more questions, just shoot me an E-mail and I'll give you more info once I get the whole thing working.

virtualchuck@yahoo.com
Chuck Pullen

Return to posts index

Michael Carnes
on Dec 2, 2009 at 10:46:53 pm

I have been looking at the JVC gy-250 as well for a mobile enviornment. Does anyone have any other hd-sdi camera solutions that could take a long (70x) lens?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]