FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendation of HD seamless video switcher with PIP?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Penner
Recommendation of HD seamless video switcher with PIP?
on Mar 23, 2009 at 5:22:11 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good HD seamless video switcher that supports PIP with two feeds? I'm looking for either hardware or software based.

We are a software development user group and we record our monthly presentations. We try to capture audio from the presenter as well as live video and video directly from their laptop. We are trying to produce something with a layout similar to:
http://mschnlnine.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pdc08/WMV-HQ/PC29.wmv
This would allow great viewing of live video, computer screen, branding and advertising for our sponsors.

Our current equipment does not do real-time processing so everything must be cut together in post. Also, our recording hardware for the presenter's laptop screen cannot keep up with a standard frame rate so we are getting terrible syncing issues.

Ideally I would like to do everything in real-time so that post production is taken out of the process, both for time and sync issues. I would require it to take in two video sources (live video from a camera and 1024x768 resolution capture of the computer's VGA output) and have these as PIP's on a background. If the background wasn't static that would be great as it would allow us to cycle our sponsors as well.

The hardest part is keeping the resolution of the computer screen readable. Ideally this would all be output at HD resolution.

After talking with a rep from Freeman (who handled all media at the recent MIX09 conference in Vegas) he recommended Barco's ScreenPro II. That looks like it would do everything I need wonderfully but the price is fairly steep.

Can anyone recommend a similar product that would meet our needs? A hardware or software solution would be fine, I just haven't seen any software solutions that can do real-time HD yet.

Thanks!
Matt Penner

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: Recommendation of HD seamless video switcher with PIP?
on Mar 23, 2009 at 10:19:59 pm

well

have a look at the side of TV-One these guy's
they make scaler's in different pricetag's. of coarse the barco (actualy folsom) gear will give you good result's but it's like doing daily shopping with a ferrari.

i guess making your post process more efficient will do the job much better. the start of post production start's in pre ;-) maybe tapping the Powerpoint/keynote on site sync with the camera recording on site will be a good guidetrack in the post production.
as the resolution of a guidetrack is not a issue thing's can be cheap.
record the presentation with the voice of the person speaking on a low quality device. and get the powerpoint/keynot's from the person's speaking. do some logging on site. as you have to find the highlight's of the presentation logging the slide numbers can be a great help.
as your deeper whish is to put sponsor message's on the composition too you have to post it any way. doing this realtime on site will push your budget big time

greet

Return to posts index

Matt Penner
on Mar 23, 2009 at 10:32:32 pm

Thanks Maurice,

I'll check out TV-One. Any particular model?

How do I sync the camera footage with the computer footage? Also, the computer footage is not simply PowerPoint slides. There is also live demonstrations of code, so we really do need quality screen capture, not just slides after the fact.

If I can do PIP over a background I can create a base template background that shows our sponsors. That would allow me to do everything without post, but I do understand this may significantly increase budget.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Mar 24, 2009 at 10:00:42 pm

well about the syncing for post. use the audio track of the man/woman speaking on both recording device's as the Computer content don't has to be completly frame acurate. in post syncing both track's can be done with looking at the audio waveform. if you are using high quality recording use timecode and genlock your gear then the stuff is frame acurate. (although this has a big influence on your budget) one of the problem's of the most cheaper scaler's that can make 2PIP's is that they don't have a broadcasttype of output most of the time's they make a DVI or RGBHV output on vesa standard's which can only be recorded with the use of a extra Scanconvertor pushing budget even more. of coarse i don't know your budget but i know the budget's in the AVpresentation market's and i know the pricing of scaler's at rental company's. still i think that getting your postproduction more efficient is saving you more money then investing in a scaler solution.

greet
maurice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]