FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony pvm14m2u

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Sony pvm14m2u
on Mar 21, 2009 at 2:24:43 pm

Guys -

I have a 12 year old PVM14M2U monitor sitting here in a rack where an aging NLE had also been. Even when it was being used, it was used very lightly. The long and the short of it is that it's in great shape but is lacking the SDI inputs which would make it useable with one of our current systems.

So my questions are:
1) Is there any value in putting a CRT of this size and age up for sale, and if so, what should it be worth? I know that larger CRTs still in good shape are going for, in some cases, as much or more than they cost new.

2) Would it make any sense, and/or be cost effective to buy one of the component > SDI converter boxes to make it useable with our system and if so, what should I expect to spend?

2b) Or is there an upgrade available from Sony which would be better solution? Would it be of any more or less quality than a third party converter?

Thanx for any light you can shed on my questions.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sony pvm14m2u
on Mar 21, 2009 at 5:08:23 pm

blackmagic A/D converters for this application are available at general mail order places (like B&H) for $460. Rembember, this is not a PVM - 14L5/1, so it will never do hi def video.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 21, 2009 at 6:46:24 pm

Thanks, Bob. I would have expected a recommendation for an AJA product, but I take this to mean the BlackMagic box is cheaper or more capable.

I'm aware it's still an SD monitor, just an SD monitor with more resolution than any home set and most less-expensive pro monitors of its era. The question remains, is it worthwhile to pop for the $460 upgrade to keep using it in a lesser capacity or is it worth more to someone else by virtue of being a living, breathing CRT?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 21, 2009 at 10:11:04 pm

if someone wants a standard def monitor, this is a great product. The AJA is technically better, but for the typical Betacam user, no one would be able to tell (so cheaper wins). As with everything else, you have to find a buyer that wants a SD CRT monitor.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Rainey
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:15:37 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I just pulled out my Sony pvm-14m2u as well. Why does it have the sdi switch on the front if it won't accept an sdi signal? I'm sure you guys are correct, b/c I've been trying to send an sdi signal to it connecting through one of the bnc lines (a and b) but to no avail. So no sdi huh? At least not without a converter?

THX
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]