FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV cuts top and bottom off

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Irene Meijer
TV cuts top and bottom off
on Mar 20, 2009 at 1:49:44 pm

Hello,

Im working on a project, but I'm having a problem. I'm making a DVD with lots of different commercials. Some of them are 16:9, some are 4:3. Some are letterboxed, some not, etc.
Every clip should be all over the screen, so I dont want any black bars on top and bottom. Exept for the 4:3 video's and the black bars on the sides.
I cut off the black bars with Quicktime and then scale it up to 720 x 576.
I put the clips on a dvd with DVD Studio Pro.
When I play it on the Mac it looks good, but when I play it on TV, it cuts some of the top and bottom off. Am I doing something wrong? Or is its the TV or DVD player?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Irene Meijer
Re: TV cuts top and bottom off
on Mar 20, 2009 at 2:52:16 pm

I just tested it on an other TV with a different DVD player and there it looked good. So maybe it was just the TV? It is an CRT TV, could that be reason? Because the other one I tested it on, which gave a good image, is a flatscreen.

Return to posts index

Junaid Ahmed
on Mar 21, 2009 at 7:57:07 am

Dear Meijer,

You are towards right direction playing on different hardware.

Your problem is related to aspect ratio. There are TVs in the market that have sub-standard quality. The screens are not actually 4:3 or 16:9. Some go out of "safe area". So if you ever want to check/test a video, do it on professional monitor only.

As far as conversion is concerned, it decreases the quality of video.

Regards
Junaid
Technical Coordinator

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 20, 2009 at 4:05:55 pm

[Irene Meijer] "Every clip should be all over the screen, so I dont want any black bars on top and bottom. Except for the 4:3 video's and the black bars on the sides.
I cut off the black bars with Quicktime and then scale it up to 720 x 576."

Now, wait a minute. You just said you don't mind the pillarboxed look of a 4x3 spot on a 16x9 screen... and then you CUT OFF those black bars and scale the video up? Why the heck did you do THAT? Every TV spot I've ever seen utilizes the entire TV frame, so you will inevitably cut off some graphics, a logo, etc.

16x 9 and 4x3 are two different screen aspect ratios. You can't wish one to fit comforably into the other. Something has to give, and you have to make a choice about what's going to give.

So make the choice and DEAL WITH IT.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Irene Meijer
on Mar 21, 2009 at 11:07:07 am

Well thanks for your nice reply pff.
I indeed don't mind the pillarboxing, but I DO mind letterboxing. I want to cut those off, not the bars on the sides. The clips I have already have black bars on them. So it looks like I already made a choice. No letterboxing. Pillarboxing is ok.
I just wondered if I did something wrong, because on an old TV it cuts some of and not on a flatscreen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]