FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a studio with an HDTV monitor on set.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Saylor
Creating a studio with an HDTV monitor on set.
on Mar 20, 2009 at 4:22:17 am

I am trying to shoot a TV set with an HDTV on screen. Using a Panasonic AG-HPX170 in 1080i. When I look at the footage on the computer, the TV's image looks blue and very washed out. Is there anything I can do with the video before hand or with the TV's settings (A 42' Sanyo) to make it look better?

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Creating a studio with an HDTV monitor on set.
on Mar 20, 2009 at 12:45:44 pm

Choose one of the following (or, likely a combination of two.)

1- Normal set lighting and white balance and adjust the on-set LCD and/or it's SOURCES to look natural in that lighting.

2- Adjust your camera and white balance to match the on-set LCD and gel your lighting to match that. (The set will look ODD to the eye.)

3- Lock-down most of your shots, and lay-in the video on the on-set LCD using post production effects.
(You can put a blue or green color on the on-set LCD screen and use a chroma-key in post.)

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Creating a studio with an HDTV monitor on set.
on Mar 21, 2009 at 7:14:42 pm

Go into the monitor/tv's settings menu. There will be a "color temperature" adjustment which should be set to "warm," to get it just a tiny bit closer to the 3200K color temp of studio lighting. It will probably still look a bit on the blue side but not as badly. Use the Brightness, contrast and Color settings to get image as seen on camera (not to the eye) to look more to your liking.
If you have access to an in-line color corrector you could adjust RGB balance, levels etc input to the monitor while watching camera video on a scope, and make it nearly perfect. Lacking that you're limited to whatever control the monitor menu offers you.
I've also done this using a switcher M/E to feed the monitor, doing a linear key with video and generated orange background (or even a slight, simple mix) just enough to take the blue curse off the monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]