FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digibeta to DVCam or equivalent

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Taylor
Digibeta to DVCam or equivalent
on Mar 9, 2009 at 1:30:58 pm

Hello All, not sure where I need to post this thread so I'm trying a few locations.

I have a job at the moment that has been shot on Digital Beta, I don't have a deck for capture and was wondering the best way of getting the tapes converted for use in (admittedly) a PAL 16:9 widescreen DV project on Premiere CS3, I've had an analogue conversion to DVCam done already but the images look a little muddy and no longer sharp.

Does anyone know how much of a loss in quality there is from DigiBeta to DVCam via a digital transfer? Is it negligible.

Also is this even the best transfer possible to use in my project? Does anyone know if capture of the Digibeta tapes and conversion to another digital file format will produce better results in my project?

Any help would be appreciated? I'm a little lost at the mo.

Regards

Matt Taylor

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
Re: Digibeta to DVCam or equivalent
on Mar 10, 2009 at 3:59:53 pm

The Sony J30 deck will play DigBeta and has 1394 output.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

Matthew Taylor
on Mar 10, 2009 at 6:22:45 pm

Thanks for the advice Mike. I've just been so busy trying to sort this haven't had the chance to respond to anyone. In the end I down converted via the I link on a Sony J-30 deck and the results looked great, considering the obvious loss.

Once again thanks for responding, I'm always impressed and amazed by the amount of help given by the users and collaborators on this site.

Regards

Matt Taylor

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Mar 10, 2009 at 4:49:54 pm

[Matthew Taylor] "Does anyone know how much of a loss in quality there is from DigiBeta to DVCam via a digital transfer? Is it negligible."

Yes, you lose tons. Is this going to be for broadcast? If so I take it you are offline editing?

Also, was the digibeta shot anamorphic? If not you aren't going to get 16x9 unless you fake it.

If this is for broadcast and you are the finisher you're going to need to either 1) rent a deck or 2) find somebody with one to capture for you.
If you are just offline editing have someone transfer to DV and you are fine, but it will need to be onlined at some point...
Joey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]