FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast preperation

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael stark
Broadcast preperation
on Mar 5, 2009 at 2:33:49 pm

So I'm happy I get to ask this question. After a year of doing little jobs, I was given my first broadcast project :D. My question is this, I'm not quite sure how I should deliver the final product. Here are my questions (bare with me). Oh, I read this thread too http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/21/858379, but, it didn't quite answer my questions.

-Standard-def or Hi-def, or both?
-What size?(aspect ratio)
-Frame rate.
-File formats
-Square pixels or both?
-Should I add a time code to anything.

As you can see, this is probably a common problem, but any and all help would be much appreciated!

Thank you so much.

Best,

Michael

Return to posts index

Asmund Voll Tesdal
Re: Broadcast preperation
on Mar 5, 2009 at 6:51:06 pm

Most of these questions are really dependant on who you're going to deliver the project to, but I'll try to throw in a couple cents..

[michael stark]
"-Standard-def or Hi-def, or both?
-Frame rate.

This depends on so many other questions, most of which depends on who is broadcasting you project. Where are you located? US = NTSC (30 fps, but then there's drop-frame and all that), europe = PAL (25 fps).

-File formats

Also dependant on who you're delivering to. Some stations will accept an mpeg2 file, others will only take a tape, be it beta sp, digibeta or something in the dv family. And thats just for SD.

-Square pixels or both?

Pixel aspect is also decided by delivery format, but it's probably not going to be square pixels.

-Should I add a time code to anything."

You'll probably have to make a tape master at some point, so yes. Some broadcasters might have starting TC as part of their delivery specs.

Sorry I can't help more, but there really aren't a lot of global answers to these questions.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Mar 5, 2009 at 7:21:11 pm

Call whoever is going to broadcast the project and ask THEM what they require. That's really the only way you are going to be able to make your decisions.
Tom

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Mar 6, 2009 at 1:53:50 am

...And whatever you do, DON'T bother to ask those questions of someone in sales. You need to contact someone such as an engineer or an operations manager. I've dealt with TOO many people in production or sales who will just answer you with the standard "Beta SP", when chances are the operations people will tell you which format THEY PERFER. That way you stay on their good side if they don't have to make a dub or screw around when ingesting your program every week.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Junaid Ahmed
on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:19:39 pm

Dear Stark

-Standard-def or Hi-def, or both?
Ans: SD and HD, work on both to coup up the scalibility and upcoming future demands of HD.

Ans: When you start working on above the aspect ratio will be set according to SD or HD. 4:3 is for SD and HD I dont know.

-Frame rate.
Ans: if NTSC 29 fps
if PAL 25 fps

-File formats
Ans: DV stream is the best video file format because it is not compressed and rich. The audio is not locked.
MPEG2 is good but I prefer "DV Stream".

-Square pixels or both?
Ans: Only Square. (infact I dont know)

-Should I add a time code to anything.
Ans: Better you provide a referance to all the broadcast devices. (Black Burst)

Regards

Junaid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]