FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nervous about my first broadcast delivery.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Edge
Nervous about my first broadcast delivery.
on Feb 26, 2009 at 11:15:16 pm

I shot an infomercial for a local company that will be broadcast on a number of stations throughout the area. I used a Panasonic HVX-200a with all footage being shot in 720/30p and downconverted to SD 720x486 in After Effects (since 99% of the footage involved a green screen).

My current plan is to export each scene from After Effects as a Quicktime (animation codec), import them into an 8-bit uncompressed sequence in Final Cut Pro, and piece them together for export to Digi Beta tape. I haven't exported anything to tape since some MiniDV projects in school am wondering if there's anything I should keep in mind/look out for. One thing I was specifically wondering about was interlacing. All my footage is currently progressive but I've read some places that I'll need to introduce interlacing prior to exporting to Digi Beta. Is this true (and if it is, how do I do it)?

Any other help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Nervous about my first broadcast delivery.
on Feb 26, 2009 at 11:23:59 pm

[Mike Edge] "My current plan is to export each scene from After Effects as a Quicktime (animation codec), import them into an 8-bit uncompressed sequence in Final Cut Pro..."

Two things:
DON'T EXPORT! Render using AE's Render Queue.
Why don't you render in AE to Apple 8-bit uncompressed? You can then play it in real time in your FCP edit timeline without have to recompress it there.

[Mike Edge] " I haven't exported anything to tape since some MiniDV projects in school am wondering if there's anything I should keep in mind/look out for."

Yeah: what kind of card to you have: AJA? Blackmagic? Otherwise, you don't stand a snowball's chance of putting it on Digibeta.

[Mike Edge] "I used a Panasonic HVX-200a with all footage being shot in 720/30p... All my footage is currently progressive but I've read some places that I'll need to introduce interlacing prior to exporting to Digi Beta."

That's baloney. You might have to set the field order -- erroneously called field dominance in FCP -- to None, but that's about it. It'll still play out interlaced, but the two fields will be taken from the same frame, which is no big deal.

Your biggest problem will be how you're going to get that show on Digibeta if you don't have a capture card. There's no Firewire on Digibeta, y'know...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike Edge
on Feb 26, 2009 at 11:34:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave.

First of all, I should have clarified and said that I was rendering from After Effects and not exporting. I know they're separate things but I sometimes mix up the terms. I've seen you drill it into people on here before so I really should have known better.

As far as the card goes, I don't personally have one. I have a friend that works at a large commercial production company with a big edit suite that's set up for Digi Beta and I'm planning on taking my footage there to transfer it. I'm not sure what card they have, but I could find out if it's something I'd need to know in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 27, 2009 at 3:26:44 pm

[Mike Edge] "...I have a friend that works at a large commercial production company with a big edit suite that's set up for Digi Beta and I'm planning on taking my footage there to transfer it. I'm not sure what card they have, but I could find out if it's something I'd need to know in advance..."

That shouldn't be necessary. Just make sure this suite can handle Apple 8-bit uncompressed, export (and I do mean export) a self-contained QT of your show in Apple 8-bit Uncompressed, put it on a portable hard drive, and bring it with you.

Not so sure you want to rely on a single QT? Thinking you may want to tweak things when you get there? It gets dicier, because you'll need ALL your Capture scratch media, your FCP project file, plus any other media you used. Oh, and this big suite has to run FCP, too.

Here's a compromise: from your FCP timeline, export the video track, plus each sound track as a separate file. You may have to arrange your audio so that keep things properly in steroe, but it isn't tht big a deal.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]