FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD-SDI to SD GigE

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Perov
HD-SDI to SD GigE
on Feb 24, 2009 at 4:27:18 pm

Hi All.

Can someone suggest me a solution to convert 9 HD-SDI to a SD GigE?

Thank you.
Dennis.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HD-SDI to SD GigE
on Feb 24, 2009 at 9:26:38 pm

I am confused by your question. You have 9 HD SDI sources (like 9 HD-SDI cameras), and you
want to convert each HD-SDI source to Gig E ? What do you mean by this. Do you want to use Gig E cable instead of Coax cable? Do you want to have a storage system that runs on Gig E? Do you want to transmit all 9 HD-SDI sources over 1 Gig E cable via a multiplexer. If you would explain exactly what you are trying to do, maybe someone could help you. Do you want to DOWNCONVERT the 9 HD sources to SDI, and then transmit them over Gig E ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dennis Perov
on Feb 24, 2009 at 10:18:12 pm

Hi
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the quick reply, I'll try to make myself a little clearer.

>You have 9 HD SDI sources (like 9 HD-SDI cameras), and you want to convert each HD-SDI source to Gig E ? What do you mean by this.

I need to convert 9 HD SDI sources that come from HD cams, scale it down to SD, encode to MPEG2, mux with the rest of the 9 feeds and send it down the Ethernet as MPEG2-TS using multicast IP.

>Do you want to use Gig E cable instead of Coax cable?

Well, once the signal is in MPEG2 TS and on Ethernet, it can be either GigE or ASI, unless I'm wrong.

>Do you want to have a storage system that runs on Gig E?

No, not a storage but MPEG4 encoders that will further compress signal, which will be transmitted to web and mobile users.

>Do you want to transmit all 9 HD-SDI sources over 1 Gig E cable via a multiplexer.

Yes.

>If you would explain exactly what you are trying to do, maybe someone could help you. Do you want to DOWNCONVERT the 9 HD sources to SDI, and then transmit them over Gig E ?
Pretty close: downconvert, encode to MPEG2, encapsulate to MPEG2 TS, mux with the rest, transmit over multicast IP.

Thanks.
Dennis.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 26, 2009 at 4:04:43 am

I need to convert 9 HD SDI sources that come from HD cams, scale it down to SD

REPLY - you need 9 independent HD-SDI to SDI converters (you say SD - do you mean analog composite, component, or SDI? I will assume SDI) - this means that you need 9 HD-SD downconverters, like AJA HD10MD3 boxes.

encode to MPEG2, mux with the rest of the 9 feeds and send it down the Ethernet as MPEG2-TS using multicast IP.

REPLY - boy, I don't know how you are going to multiplex NINE HD-SDI or SDI signals into one signal. In audio land, this is what all the cobra net products do. But for video, I am unaware of any product that will do this.

No, not a storage but MPEG4 encoders that will further compress signal, which will be transmitted to web and mobile users.

REPLY - simple products like the Blackmagic Video Recorder will take the live signal in, and convert to h.264, for web and mobile users. But from a SINGLE FEED, not 9 multiplexed signals.

>Do you want to transmit all 9 HD-SDI sources over 1 Gig E cable via a multiplexer.

Yes.

REPLY - good luck.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Thomas Ballantyne
on Apr 7, 2009 at 8:17:41 pm

Hi Dennis,

Did you find a good solution to this problem? I have a similar set of needs - mux'ing 4 to 8 SDI video channels over 1gigE...

Thanks,
Thomas

Return to posts index

Dennis Perov
on Apr 7, 2009 at 9:48:12 pm

Just a brute force cherrypicking.. DM 6400 with a GigE and a bunch of SDI cards.

Good luck.
Dennis.

Return to posts index

Robert Hess
on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:46:52 pm

Sounds like you need a bunch of Hardware MPEG Encoders. Try Thor Broadcast equipment, I've had a lot of luck with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]