FORUMS: list search recent posts

hd and chroma key

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lesante Jr.
hd and chroma key
on Feb 18, 2009 at 10:08:36 pm

Hey fellow cows,

What is the best flavor of hd to shoot a greenscreen?

is it 720p, 1080i, other?

TIA

Sam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: hd and chroma key
on Feb 18, 2009 at 10:36:44 pm

Here's the number one thing to do: DON'T SHOOT ON HDV!!!!!

HDV's color resolution stinks on ice. It's God-awful. Since having the highest resolution colors possible makes keying easier, HDV is NOT the tool of choice. Know how much fun it is key DV? HDV takes the fun to new heights.

Then, what sort of motion do you want: the live look of interlaced video, or the more film-like motion of progressive-scan? If you like progressive, there's a problem: 1080p cameras (other than HDV, which you do NOT want) are very pricey, so 1080p is probably out.

Some folks claim you absolutely must have progressive-scan, but I've never had a big problem keying interlaced video. If progressive-scan was a necessity, how did people ever get good-looking keys ten years ago, when progressive-scan didn't exist? I seem to recall seeing good keys then.

So what to use? 720? 1080? I think it's a toss-up, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with 1080. More resolution y'know... which could be helpful in a pinch.

Anyway, that's my opinion. But there's one thing that is NOT opinion: for chroma key, avoid HDV like the plague.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.
on Feb 18, 2009 at 10:50:10 pm

Thanks Dave,

I forgot to mention i have a Panasonic HPX500 that shoots in a bunch of formats from 1080/60i right down to dv

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 20, 2009 at 1:58:58 am

If I knew what kinds of files that particular camera made (DV, HDV, DVCProHD, etc.) I could give you an intelligent answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]