FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Broadcast video encoding solution

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cardonna
Video Broadcast video encoding solution
on Feb 10, 2009 at 12:49:37 am

Hi,

We are studying the possibility of transmitting some sporting events via broadband to a local tv station.

What solution is available that would permit us to this in both standard definition and hd?

The cost should be in the 10k or less and should include the decoder to be set up at the station.

Your response will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

R Cardonna

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
Re: Video Broadcast video encoding solution
on Feb 10, 2009 at 4:58:24 pm

$10k isn't exactly a lot of money for that sort of thing (like $7k for an encoder). Plus, unless you have A TON of UPLOAD bandwidth (and the TV station would probably have to have more than just regular cable/DSL service), you won't get good SD quality, and you can forget about HD. And that's even if you're encoding with AVC/H.264. And then you would still have to worry about whether you would actually maintain acceptable bandwidth between your location and the TV station. Instead, contact the cable company about sending the video through them. There are channels below CATV Channel 2 used for this purpose. Maybe they'd have a solution for HD as well. Also, you might check into microwave transmission to the TV station. It supports analog/digital/SD/HD. Doubt it'll fit in your budget, but you could also check with the TV station if they have a microwave system you could use.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Feb 10, 2009 at 11:59:57 pm

I did a little checking, and you should be able to accomplish IPTV encoding/decoding for under $10k. The $7k encoder I was referring to is more of a multi-format webcasting encoder. Sorry about that. BUT......you would still need A LOT OF UPLOAD BANDWIDTH for any of that to work. And that's EXPENSIVE. Contact the cable company about the possibility of using one of their T-channels for your broadcast. I'm not sure if they could route you to the TV station, or that they would even agree to it, but it's worth a shot. In the end, microwave is really the way to go, though.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Feb 12, 2009 at 4:31:48 am

Thanks for the info. I checked with a solution provider and they told i could get a good image at 1.5 mbps (sd) upload. This is in the dsl range.

I will be checking with the local telephone co to see if they can configure uploads for that rate o throughput.

There's got to be something.

Thanks

R Cardonna

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Feb 17, 2009 at 1:36:16 am

[Richard Cardonna] "Thanks for the info. I checked with a solution provider and they told i could get a good image at 1.5 mbps (sd) upload. This is in the dsl range."

That would be with an S-DSL connection, where A-DSL is what someone would have at their house and some businesses, which would be much lower on the upload. Also keep in mind that in order to have a reliable stream, a rule of thumb is to keep the bit rate to around HALF of the connection bandwidth...meaning you'd need 3 Mb/s upload for a 1.5 Mb/s stream. As far as 1.5 Mb/s MPEG-2 being good quality...it isn't. Look at DTV 480i sub-channels as reference. They are in the 2-4 Mb/s range using MPEG-2 encoding, and they range from "artifact city" (2 Mb/s) to decent (but not great) quality. Bear in mind that these TV stations are also using high-end (expensive) encoders for these streams. If the broadcaster will be sending your program out on their DTV channel, it will be re-compressed, further reducing the quality. MPEG-4 would be better, and a 1.5 Mb/s MPEG-4 stream may be acceptable...but you'd need about a 3 Mb/s upload connection, as well as consideration for the re-compression for DTV (if applicable). I personally wouldn't consider this route for broadcast for another few years--when the technology will be faster/better. But you, or your client, would be the ultimate judge on what is acceptable quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]