FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blacking HDCAM-SR

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Bruce
Blacking HDCAM-SR
on Feb 5, 2009 at 4:22:30 pm

Hello

When we've finished the edit on our current production, we'll be hiring a HDCAM-SR deck to lay off our final deliverables.

I've not laid off HDCAM before, but I'm hoping that it's just like DigiBeta... I have a couple of questions about tape blacking.

With DigiBeta, we stripe/black all our tapes first (recording continuous timecode and black onto the whole tape), before laying off the programme.

With HDCAM, do we need to do this? Is it OK to just assemble-edit and write the timecode onto the tape at the same time as the picture?

If we do need to black first, is there anywhere in the UK that sells pre-blacked SR tapes? Or do we have to hire the deck for a much longer time so that we can do this ourselves?

Thanks

Stuart

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Baz Leffler
Re: Blacking HDCAM-SR
on Feb 5, 2009 at 11:29:55 pm

Hi Stuart - why do you prestripe the digibeta's?

We always have a small project called 'lineup' that outputs SD bars and 4 channels of audio (FCP) and just stripe up to where the ID board begins and then output our main program using assemble edit with timecode set to jam sync. Never had a problem.

And we use the same technique with our HDCAM decks; HD 'lineup' then assemble edit main program.

The concept of prestriping your tapes is doubling your head usage on the machine (as well as tieing it up for that length of time!).

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Stuart Bruce
Re: Blacking HDCAM-SR
on Feb 6, 2009 at 10:43:45 am

This is what I needed to know, thanks.

Until recently we were using Velocity to edit, and it pretty much refused to assemble edit anything without timecode already laid on. In fact towards the end of the machine's life it was refusing to do a lot of things...

Some years ago as an edit assistant I was told it was good practice to black all DigiBetas before any editing use. I've believed that for years since. Maybe they were just trying to keep me busy?! And since then one of the tasks I've given *my* assistant has been pre-striping DigiBetas!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]