FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Codec for TV Broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Reinicke
Audio Codec for TV Broadcast
on Jan 30, 2009 at 3:16:06 pm

Hey guys,

I have to deliver a music video and the channel wants me to send them a high quality quicktime file (no more informations) of it.

I was asking myself which audio codec would be best for this, PCM (44.1k or 48k?) or other?

I tested a bit and burned some tracks on DVD and the AAC codec audio file sounded best.

what do you guys think abt this?

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
Re: Audio Codec for TV Broadcast
on Jan 30, 2009 at 7:07:19 pm

[Kevin Reinicke] "the channel wants me to send them a high quality quicktime file (no more informations) of it."

If that's all the information they're giving you, then they obviously don't care. 48kHz PCM is pretty standard for audio, but if they have delivery specifications--meaning they give specific requirements, and not just "a high quality quicktime file"--then go by those.

Return to posts index

Kevin Reinicke
on Jan 31, 2009 at 10:34:43 am

No they didnt give me anymore info.

so AAC codec should be fine?? What you guys think abt this codec?

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Feb 4, 2009 at 2:33:33 pm

[Kevin Reinicke] "No they didnt give me anymore info.

so AAC codec should be fine?? What you guys think abt this codec?"

I'd ask them again for detailed delivery specs. Don't do AAC, do PCM (uncompressed). This is a MUSIC video where the AUDIO is the focus, so don't slack on the audio at all. Give the station the best they can take (which 48kHz PCM should be fine).

Return to posts index

Kevin Reinicke
on Feb 4, 2009 at 6:42:55 pm

Tim,

as I said I liked the AAC codec better. I burned both a version with PCM and AAC on DVD and tested on different TV´s.

I dont know if that is normal. I showed it to the artists too and they liked the AAC Version better too.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Feb 12, 2009 at 11:24:17 pm

AAC is a lossy codec (you lose a little quality no matter what), while PCM is lossless (it is the exact information from the original source, with no compression). If AAC sounds better to you, then you're either perceiving a difference that isn't there or there's something wrong with your settings (leave it at PCM 48k uncompressed). Plus, PCM works in everything, while occasionally (though rarely) AAC will have compatibility issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]