FORUMS: list search recent posts

:30 Broadcast spots with HVX200 - Rez/FCP Settings?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Ooley
:30 Broadcast spots with HVX200 - Rez/FCP Settings?
on Jan 29, 2009 at 4:04:14 pm

Hello,

Soon I will be shooting two :30 broadcast TV spots using HVX200 cameras. I am wondering about what resolution to shoot at, as well as what size my FCP comp should be set to.

Obviously, I want to maximize my settings for optimal display when the spots are broadcast. (Considering viewers in a 4:3 format or a widescreen format.)

Comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: :30 Broadcast spots with HVX200 - Rez/FCP Settings?
on Jan 29, 2009 at 5:00:38 pm

Please understand I'm not trying to beat up on you by saying this, okay?

Here goes: you mean you didn't ask the client what you need to deliver, or didn't at least ask to whom it would be delivered so you could do the checking?

Clarifying questions are good. You work toward the answer to the question, "How does the ultimate user for my delivered project need to play it back, and what standards does the ultimate user require?"

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Ooley
on Jan 29, 2009 at 5:10:55 pm

Thanks for the constructive criticism, but in fact, the client wouldn't know the answer to this question. (And why would they?)

If anybody knows, I figure it will be the station broadcasting the spots (which I do not currently know). However, there must be some standards for settings both in the HVX200, and FCP. This isn't an uncommon request.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 29, 2009 at 5:49:47 pm

[Matt Ooley] "However, there must be some standards for settings both in the HVX200, and FCP. This isn't an uncommon request."

True, but the sad truth is that there is no such thing as standard delivery for a TV station. Perhaps there is for national spots, but local spots are a different kettle of fish.

Do they want HD or SD? Do they want an mpeg2 via ftp? Do they want it on data DVD or on tape? What kind of tape: Beta SP, Digibeta, or something else? If it's a data DVD, what kind of file do they need?

If you can find out the station on which the spot will air, you can talk to the engineers and work it out. They won't think you're asking dumb questions, they'll be thankful that you're trying to get it right the first time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matt Ooley
on Jan 29, 2009 at 5:58:14 pm

Thanks for the info! I fully planned on talking to the stations for the file format (whether it be tape, HD, SD, Digital Delivery, etc)...

I wasn't sure if they would be able to answer my questions regarding ideal shooting formats, and FCP settings.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jan 30, 2009 at 2:51:01 pm

I just finished editing a spot shot with an HVX200. The DP shot at 720p and recorded on P2 cards as well as a Firestore FS100. I used the Firestore disk for import. I edited in an SD 8bit Uncompressed sequence. The footage was letterboxed. I didn't use ProRes due to the fact that a few of the shots went through After Effects for additional work and the graphics person didn't have the ProRes codec on his computer. He sent the finished clips back in the same format. The finished spot was mastered to Digibeta and dubs went out on Betacam SP. No problems at all. P2 clips imported without any problems. Pretty painless actually.
Tom

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 5, 2009 at 9:21:10 pm

I've cut lots of spots shot on the HVX-200. The only thing that changes my approach is if it will air in HD or SD. Half the stations in my state will take HD and the other will not and don't plan on doing so any time soon. If your doing HD you have a choice of 1080i or 720p. The aforementioned stations will only take 1080i 29.97. So we will usually shoot in 1080i 29.97. If the client wants more of a film fill will shot in 720p. (if using that camera) I use FCP so I transfer the footage, the P2 log and transfer footage just transfers it in it's native codac which is DVCPro HD 1080i60. I cut the footage in a sequence set to the same settings so there is no loss of quality.
If it is a SD spot we may shot it with the DVCpro 50 codac. But uselly the 1080i settings and then just letter box the spot or have it fit the screen thus chopping off the edges. Regardless I set my FCP sequence to do Uncompressed 8-bit at 720 by 486.
Personally I recommend you run test on a bunch of the settings and decided on which one you think looks the best. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

jarrod hurwitz
on Sep 16, 2010 at 12:55:12 pm

I shot a commercial yesterday which is being broadcast (on hvx 200 with letus 35mm)
I wasnt sure which format to shoot in and after speaking to a few people and getting their advice, i ended up shooting in 720p/30pn - this is footage which is going to be intercut with RED footage. Its going to look different, but is there going to be a massive loss of quality going from 720 -> 1080(IE intercutting the HVX & RED)?? like, will it pixelate and be unusable??

(thanks for reading)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:33:22 pm

At which resolution will this spot be actually aired -- 720 or 1080? I don't mean produced, I mean aired.

It doesn't make much sense to work at 1080 if it's going to air at 720.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

jarrod hurwitz
on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:24:53 pm

i was told HD, but not specific size, then later on told 4:3

in the event of it being broadcast at 1080 , will the footage i currently have not work at all? will i need to reshoot? or is there a way around it??

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2010 at 7:45:04 pm

I'd ask about this on the FCP forum. I only work at 720, because we air our spots at 720. If I recall properly, an AJA card does great-looking 720-1080 upconversions, but you'd want to check with people who know.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

jarrod hurwitz
on Sep 16, 2010 at 8:12:56 pm

thanks so much,
sorry about my lack of knowledge on the subject, but what is an AJA card?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2010 at 8:15:56 pm

It's a video capture card, and it's a necessary item when recording completed work to videotape. Click on the AJA ad on this page.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

jarrod hurwitz
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:08:59 pm

would it work to have the 720p footage intercut with the 1080 footage?
I'm not talking about a reciprocal OTS sequence in a scene IE they dont have to match, but you would have the commercial which are models (1080) cutting away to testimonials from people (720) about a product the models are using?

thank you for the info

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]