FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for Reality Television shot on P2

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Ainslie
Workflow for Reality Television shot on P2
on Jan 24, 2009 at 12:03:21 pm

I have a small video production company in Shanghai producing a reality television show. We are shooting on 10 HVX-200 and 2 HPX-500 so we'll be generating a great deal of full P2 cards each day.

I'm working on setting up our Field and Office workflow for offloading cards and moving the footage back to our office. On our smaller P2 shoots we use the duel-adapter hooked up to a MacBook Pro and and an external hd, but we will be generating cards quicker and in greater number than before.

Could anyone help with some ideas for P2 workflow in the field that is safe and reliable and of course FAST. We've looked into the Panasonic AJ-HPM110 P2 Deck as well as the AJ-PCD20P which seems to be just for ingest/storage. Will transfer to these be faster or do the cards transfer to an external drive 1 at a time. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Re: Workflow for Reality Television shot on P2
on Jan 24, 2009 at 12:14:43 pm

Hi,

The PCD20 when hooked up to a PC or Mac can actually be the fastest transfer as all cards can transfer at the same time, depending on the computer, but it is fast.

Second thing you want to think about if data management, or rather it should be among the first things you think about as you will have a lot of data within which you will eventually be looking to find a particular clip. This is the time to think about using metadata. When looking at the Reality show is there a way to brak it down into subheads? For example the Iditarod is a reality show, they shot 120 hours of footage. The broke it down by the checkpoints across the trail. So each shooter when reaching a new checkpoint loaded a new metadata file. When they handed in their cards the offload station working in DVFilm's Raylight, offloaded the cards into preset folders named for the checkpoints. And it didn't matter that a card may have two different metadata descriptions, they were sorted into the approppriat folder. This made the editing much easier as material was easier to find.

There is a decriptive paper on how to do this metadata on our website http://www.panasonic.com/p2hd. It is under the resources area.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Patrick Ainslie
Re: Workflow for Reality Television shot on P2
on Jan 27, 2009 at 4:40:35 am

Jan -

Thanks. I've read a few conflicting things about the PCD20. The Panasonic website lists it as having USB 2.0 and 1394 connections, but I've read elsewhere on the web it handles Firewire 800 (1394b). We're based in Shanghai, and it's near impossible to find P2 cards larger than 16gb in China (any ideas on that front?) so we're faced with the possibility of unloading during a break in the middle of the day. So lets say we have a MBP with the PCD20 and a eSATA drive. We're looking at unloading a 16gb card in about 9 minutes... so all 5 cards in about 45 minutes. Am I correct? You said the cards come in at the same time, but still isn't is about 9 minutes per card?

thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]