FORUMS: list search recent posts

The importance of contrast range? JVC DT-V20L3D vs JVC DT-V24L3D...

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Peters
The importance of contrast range? JVC DT-V20L3D vs JVC DT-V24L3D...
on Jan 11, 2009 at 1:50:48 am

I am currently looking at two JVC reference monitors, the JVC DT-V20L3D and the JVC DT-V24L3D, I need a new HD reference monitor. I will be working with 720P, so the increased resolution is not that important at all (for me). That made me look more closely at the 20" monitor. Why pay for 1080P if I donĀ“t need it, right?

Well then I saw the difference in contrast:

DT-V20L3D has 700:1 contrast range and delivers 470cd/m2 brightness.
DT-V24L3D has 1000:1 contrast but only 400cd/m2 brightness.

Has anyone here looked at both these monitors at the same time? How big is the contrast difference in reality, is it worth the extra money even if I have no need for full HD resolution? It sounds like a pretty big difference, but then they always fiddle with numbers just to make the more expensive monitor look more attractive.

I currently use a Sony PVM-20L4 with SDI input card for SD.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: The importance of contrast range? JVC DT-V20L3D vs JVC DT-V24L3D...
on Jan 11, 2009 at 10:31:06 pm

DT-V24L3DU

this is the model of the JVC that you want. This is the currently available 24" JVC LCD with the waveform. It's $3500 at B&H, and it's great. Stop over analyzing.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

George Peters
Re: The importance of contrast range? JVC DT-V20L3D vs JVC DT-V24L3D...
on Jan 12, 2009 at 8:36:25 pm

"Overanalysing". Hah, that is very accurate! :)
I try to make sure I can get the best I can afford, and make sure I get the best workflow when I move to HD. I tend to overanalyse a bit, but then I often get to make decisions based on a lot of knowledge and input.

This contrastdifference came as a total surprise to me, I thought the two monitors were basically the same (just with a different pixelcount).

I will go for the 24" model, thanks for kicking my butt. It needs to be kicked in the right direction sometimes. I get stuck halfways, I think I think too much sometimes. ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]