FORUMS: list search recent posts

Character Generator

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kurt murphy
Character Generator
on Jan 9, 2009 at 10:19:23 pm

Man, do I wish Adobe would create a character generator, so I'd never have to look at another Chyron again. It seems that most pieces are created in Photoshop and animated in After Effects anyway. It takes me 10-20 times longer to do ANYTHING on Chyron than it does in After Effects... And I've been working with Lyric for about a year now. It's the buggiest, most non-intuitive, backwards piece of crap I've ever worked on...

okay, i feel better now...

kurt murphy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Character Generator
on Jan 10, 2009 at 1:06:48 am

I have clients that use Adobe products, and a MAC with a Blackmagic card that can produce a fill and KEY (alpha channel) signal live, and send this into a Panasonic AV-HS400 HD switcher for CG.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Jan 10, 2009 at 2:15:55 am

Bob, I am about to start that exact process myself soon, do you have any sources for more info about that workflow? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 10, 2009 at 11:42:01 pm

this is not brain surgery. Professional character generators offer lots of hi end production features for speed. But if you need to get Adobe products into a switcher, to use as a cheap CG, buy this -

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklinkstudio/techspecs/

One output is SDI or HD-SDI, one output is key, and it genlocks.
What else do you need to know. Does it do cool XYZ - I dont' know, it doesn't do anything other than what Adobe products do right now.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on Jan 10, 2009 at 2:53:57 am

I'd be curious on how to go about doing this too. The THINKING behind the Lyric is somewhat ingenious - being able to update text and graphics externally and on the fly; persistent messages. Unfortunately a complete pig is wrapped around those ideas....

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Jan 10, 2009 at 9:28:14 pm

Kurt, have you had any experience with the Pinnacle/Avid Deko systems? I've used the Thunder and DVExtreme, along with the Title/Post Deko software apps, but no experience with the Deko/FX Deko systems, so I can't comment on Deko operations.

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on Jan 11, 2009 at 8:44:53 pm

Tim,

We currently run Deko now - which the Chyron Channelbox will eventually replace. I haven't used the Deko, but the guy who does sees a lot of parallels with Chyron... it's somewhat challenging and cumbersome to set up.

Return to posts index

Douglas Warouw
on Feb 6, 2009 at 12:56:14 pm

Love it & Hate it...

I've seen/used/designed for my fair share of CGs and coming from a 3D background/Compositing backgound I really shined to Chyron(Lyric Pro + HyperX2) until I used it.

Its a Dog to build with but once you work out its quirks its pretty impressive. Using Lyric Pro is like using 3DSMax1.5 You have to do everything the hard way but it will realtime 3D render and the use of transitions is really clever.

On an other note, I'm finding Adobe's CS3 and above not very plesent to use I think they are starting to over engineer their products.

my 2 cents

Return to posts index

Jovan Nestorovski
on Jul 28, 2014 at 12:09:35 am

Dear Mr. Bob,

Does the Decklink card produces fill and key or? I am asking about the alpha key, because I cannot find any information about the alpha key output from Adobe premiere. I want to build cheap CG and I need is there any alpha key from Adobe Premiere.

Thank you in advance Mr. Zelin.

Best regards,
Jovan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]