FORUMS: list search recent posts

AP story: Obama team wants to delay the Digital switchover next month

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
AP story: Obama team wants to delay the Digital switchover next month
on Jan 8, 2009 at 8:10:06 pm

Gahhh!

I think what they are saying (AP story is short on detail) is that there wasn't enough money in the converter coupon program to make sure everybody had their fair chance to get one. I dunno, I think two years or so is pretty long notice.

I think their attention would be better spent on checking to see if the FCC's studies of DTV operability are really true; according to TV Technology magazine articles I've been reading, the tests that FCC called "successful" so far are really inconclusive and Feb 16th or so, a lot of people are going to be lining up in front of Radio Shack for overpriced Yagis.

I'm still planning to have an online "sign-off party" and watch the Analog go dark that night. Might even tape it:-)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AP story: Obama team wants to delay the Digital switchover next month
on Jan 9, 2009 at 1:46:03 pm

I can't wait. Screw those old people ! (this certainly includes old broadcast engineers).
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 9, 2009 at 4:27:58 pm

[Mark Suszko] "...there wasn't enough money in the converter coupon program to make sure everybody had their fair chance to get one..."

I don't know if it's that big a deal. Our station ran a little "Are you ready for DTV?" test a couple of weeks ago, with surprising results.

We routed the final five minutes of a 6PM newscast to the digital transmitter ONLY -- all the area cable systems were taking our digital signal. We put up a still store frame over the analog transmitter: "if you're seeing this, you need to get ready for DTV, with a phone number to call".

Only people still watching over-the-air on analog would see the slide.

We get calls when anchors mispronounce names; they'd surely call if all they saw was a stinkin' slide. We didn't get a SINGLE CALL. At least in our market, it looks like people have taken our dire DTV warnings to heart.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jan 13, 2009 at 6:22:00 pm

KABC just did this last night at 6:28 pm. 2 minutes of promos on the digital feed. Didn't see the analog feed. Wonder how many in the LA market freaked out? Then again, how much of the questionable group would even be watching the news rather that Andy Griffith reruns?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]