FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stage lights out of legal range

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Antepli
Stage lights out of legal range
on Jan 6, 2009 at 7:25:33 pm

Hello,

I'm editing/online editing a late night show on Avid Nitris. Sometimes we have musical performances and they use cool looking lights down at the stage. However it becomes really difficult for me to bring the chroma within the legal specs. Especially because they use more than one color: mostly red and blue together. I try to isolate the blues and the red with the secondary color correction and bring them down, but then I still start loosing people's healthy skin tones...

Any ideas how to approach this?

Would a legalizer help, or would it make it look worst and weird?

Thanks a lot!

julie

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Stage lights out of legal range
on Jan 6, 2009 at 8:03:22 pm

People are not necesarily supposed to look in perfect skin tone at all times under those conditions. Sometimes they are meant to have too much of one color on them for effect. Peter Frampton's hair wasn't really pink on the cover of "Frampton Comes Alive". Are you trying to take away too much of what the point of the lighting was about?

Return to posts index

Julie Antepli
on Jan 7, 2009 at 8:18:37 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Mark, I totally agree with what you're saying, and that's actually my concern... I mean, in order to make those lights "broadcast-safe" I'm losing the cool effect that they create. That's my frustration.

In other words I would rather leave the reflection of the lights on faces intact, while bringing down the lights themselves - in other words, the bulbs and the rays that go over specs.

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Jan 6, 2009 at 11:34:27 pm

I am not familiar with Avid but have you tried a filter like chroma clipper or in FCP there is a filter called 'desaturate highlights'.

One thing I can tell you is that if you send out a master with out of spec chroma you are going to get it back!

It has always amazed me how a 'broadcast camera' can still produce out of spec recordings that can get carried all the way to the point of transmission.

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2009 at 9:02:06 pm

Since you want to pull the chroma down in the LIGHTS -- not necessarily the subject -- you could do the following:

Get your video color-corrected as you wish for the SUBJECT, not the lights. Then, duplicate the video layer and color correct for the LIGHTS, so they're legal. Then mask around the lights.

There are a number of ways to do this. I can do it in After Effects and Final Cut pro, but I don't know a thing about Avid Nitris. There's gotta be a way to isolate the offending portions of the picture, so you fix those portions only.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 8, 2009 at 7:25:11 pm

Animatte in Avid, or if you're on a Symphony Nitris play with the secondary color correction. Since I've never used a Symphony I can't help you with how, but the secondary is there so it's worth a shot.

Michael

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jan 9, 2009 at 3:28:52 am

yeah, duplicate the video to track 2 and use animatte or picture in picture to isolate certain sections of the video (I like to use picture in picture when ever I can because it's a real time effect)and tweek your lights after that.
just use real soft edges so it blends nice with the layer below.

I do it all the time in the nitris.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Julie Antepli
on Jan 9, 2009 at 6:13:31 pm

Thanks guys!

I had tried the secondary color-correction, but I never tried duplicating the layer and masking the lights.

I have about 2 hrs to online & color-correct the entire show, I hope this won't take me too long with the camera moves, dissolves etc. It's definitely worth a shot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]