FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC Legal Colors and IRE

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perrone Ford
NTSC Legal Colors and IRE
on Dec 22, 2008 at 6:50:32 pm

Ok,

Time for HD video 101, and I'm sorry to ask this in advance!

Alright, in HD world, when submitting footage for broadcast, do I need to follow the old NTSC colors on the scopes and stay between 7.5 and 100 IRE, or are there new rules.

I've got some projects coming this year, and honestly, I'm not sure how to set these things up.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: NTSC Legal Colors and IRE
on Dec 22, 2008 at 10:17:40 pm

there is no pedestal level (7.5 IRE) in serial digital or HD-SDI signals. If you don't own a set of SDI or HD-SDI scopes, and need to meet broadcast specs, you will be screwed, and your tapes will get rejected - especially if you are dealing with Discovery, PBS, NBC, etc.

If you don't own SDI or HD-SDI scopes, and you have to do broadcast delivery, RENT THEM. And yes, they are expensive.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Perrone Ford
on Dec 22, 2008 at 10:37:58 pm

Thanks Bob. I am using software scopes which have been good so far, but I can get material to one of my broadcast buddies for final check before delivery. If it verifies what I'm seeing then I'll feel comfortable. If not, then I'll "explore other options". :)

By the way, you're in Orlando right? Do you know any reasonable post studios down there for small jobs? I got a call today from someone looking for a cuts, titles, and SD delivery job from Orlando. If I can't do it, I'd like to recommend someone. I don't have a full scope of work yet, but it's coming. Production is in Canada, but they want to post here in FL.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 22, 2008 at 11:05:11 pm

email me off list for recommendations.
Bob Zelin

maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]